Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ten Commandments, Nativity, and Cross Displays

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Not to worry folks most kids can't read in normal text, the problem starts when some smart teacher hangs it up in AOLer n00bie, I would do that here but you know how this forum pounces on anyone writing n00bie, um, probably rightly too!!!omg!!!lol

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Second thoughts, since it says that I shouldn't make an images unto God, and that most people would interpret a MacDonalds menu and an image unto MacDonalds, putting the Ten Commandments up is exactly what God asks one not to do; however, since MacDonalds claims to be color-class-race blind holding family values at heart and socially responsible, why shouldn't one ask them to write out some rules for ones school wall?

Edited by fleamailman, 07 November 2005 - 04:28 AM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't see what any ones objection would be, every one know it is just what Chatholics beleive. When I see stuff that is against what I beleive (and I see a lot) I just ignore it.

Most releigions beleive them, or would not say any of them are wrong. (most releigons include all Christain, Moslems etc.)

Any way you would think that adults cound put up with things that they don't agree with. There are hundrens of things that I don't agree with, Euthanasia, Evolution, Abortion, Globle Warming cause troble etc. but other people say they are true it dose not offend me.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I think this whole issue goes back to the root of the problem. One person's (or one group's) interpretation of the constitution. The part about seperation of church and state wasnt meant to be that schools couldnt post religious artifacts, it was meant so that the government couldnt establish one religion that everyone would practice. Does the hanging of a piece of paper show that the government is establishing one religion that we are all to practice? Especially when that piece of paper shows the root of the rules of law in this country, no, I dont believe so.

Religious groups like to twist this and say that seperation of church and state means that anything that the government does or has can have absolutely nothing to do with any religion.

Can you imagine what kind of twisted society we would have if our laws were based on something other than the 10 commandments?

ScHwErV :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Are you saying most of the Eourpean law systems based not upon the ten commandments (and to all evidence are much better law systems than the US i might add) are twisted societies.

I dont like the ten commandments a few of them of course are fine to me, but a few of them, and especially the embelishments attached to them by most religions i find wrong and are open to justifing the persecution of other people for their race, creed or particular interpretation of the same religion. It has been used to justify murder and torture for hundreds of years(not just the ten commandments that whole first part of the bible really) and i dont think thats right, to me the ten commandments and the bible itself are stained with two much blood, there is less blood on mein kampf than their is on the bible and that is a historical fact. Thats why i would find it insulting.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Here then is the text of the Ten commandments through there seems to be 17 of them, next I really want you to put yourself in a child's point of view and ask yourselves how long before some child thinks, I have to believe because that is what the means by placing this plack here, and what is adultery, and why at my age should I be thinking about killing and raping, also asking why when everything around me is pushing me towards the goals of capitalism is this plack saying do not covet. Anyway, life in school is hard enough at child's level, cannot we ask the children themselves what they think would be good rules to have on their wall, perhaps a compitition for the best plack, something more of the children, for the children and by the children then, anyway here's the plack to show you what I mean:

Text of the Ten Commandments:
There are three versions of the Ten Commandments in the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament). They are at Exodus 20:2-17, Exodus 34:12-26, and Deuteronomy 5:6-21. Exodus 20 is the most commonly used set. In the King James' Version, its text reads:

Exodus 20:
2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
13 Thou shalt not kill.
14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
15 Thou shalt not steal.
16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his [bleep], nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Edited by fleamailman, 07 November 2005 - 04:30 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You have numbered them wrong I think (you started with the number two) normaly they are shorened to make them easyer to remember. Here is web page the compares Exodus 20 2-17, Deuteronomy 5:6-21, and A Traditional Catechetical Formula.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Very nice link! :tazz:
Just some info...the first part says number 2 because that is the verse.

Many of them are very closely related, so they were combined in 10 Commandments, which can be split into some groups (usually 3 groups, human relationship with God (#1-3), human relationship with others (#4-8), human relationship with self(thoughts)(#9 & 10)).

Edit: I reread my post and realized I didn't specify that the numbers I put are the numbers of the Commandments, not the verses. Like masterj3000 said, many Commandments take more than one verse.

Edited by Pi rules, 09 November 2005 - 03:46 PM.

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Here then is the text of the Ten commandments through there seems to be 17 of them

There are 17 verses and you started it on verse 2. Some of the commandments take up more than one verse. :tazz:

MurderousMidget

MurderousMidget

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok well first there was talk of freedom of expression which implies individuals hanging up the ten comandments in public places which i think is totally fine its no different then those little stickers that say all shall neal before the lord or whatever. and as for what about groups like the kkk wanting to put stuff up well they do have parades and marches and stuff even to this day so...

but the real issue is public places such as schools or city halls which are goverment responcibilities... as for i dont think it will effect the kid one way or the other, if they care to question what is presented to them they will make up their own mind and if not they will follow what their priest/parents/friends tell them anyway( i was raised by a vegitarian wickan....and i am a steak lovin agnostic ) as for church and state i think really they should not display it just to keep the boundaries between the two strong but i dont think its a big enough deal to really worry about

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
See as far as i know in europe stickers and posters praising religions arent allowed, ive certainly never seen one i doubt i ever shall as its not PC.

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
Well, this is short notice with my paper due in a week, but I'm expanding my topic.

Basically religious displays in general.

I will use the following as my major examples:

Still allowing ten commandments displays
Allowing displays of the nativity (Christ's Birth)
Displays of the cross

Comments would be much appreciated.

masterj3000 :tazz:

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: If you are interested in viewing the legal "arguments" from an Evangelical Christian
perspective, see the info at : http://aclj.org .
The Chief Counsel of the American Center for Law & Justice is Jay Sekulow, who is
a Messianic Jew ( A Jew who believes that Jesus is the Messiah )

Edited by SpiritWind, 14 November 2005 - 12:31 AM.

Woman

Woman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Well, it doesn't get any better than SpiritWind's contribution - the link to Jay Sekulow!

You did mean religious displays by Christians, didn't you?

One thing you might consider quickly researching is the display of religious symbols/use of religious speech, icons, etc., by religions other than Christianity. It seems it's allowed, promoted, and even considered totally P-inC to suggest anything negative about any religion except Christianity and Judaism. You can bash what built the US great but not the newer minority beliefs.

Can American Indians use their religious symbols? Is anyone (allowed to be) offended? [Note: This from the keyboard of a typical Heinz 57 American, with 5 of those 57 being Cherokee, Chippawa, Chactaw, Chickasaw and Sioux.]

Buddhists? They claim they are not a religion but, let's face it, that depends on your definition. Are they allowed to display their symbols for all to see? How are we (allowed) to react to them?

Go through the list of the world's major religions and belief systems. Define "religion" to suit your paper's needs. Show discrimination against Judaism and/or Christianity.

Other articulate types you might consult are
Hank Hanegraaf at www.equip.org (he hosts a call-in show, The Bible Answer Man and the website has a lot of info);
John MacArthur at www.gty.org, www.gracechurch.org and www.tms.edu (The Master's Seminary - and someone there might just be able to give you some ideas)
Greg Laurie at www.harvest.org
Chip Ingram at www.lote.org
Lance Sparks at www.ccc-online.org

All those orgs might be coms, by the way.

/Amanda

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Buddhists? They claim they are not a religion but, let's face it, that depends on your definition. Are they allowed to display their symbols for all to see? How are we (allowed) to react to them?

buddhism...is not a religion....by their own deffinition (which is the only deffinition that counts when labelilng something as a religion)...they are just following a belief structure to achieve happiness...they have never claimed to be a religion...though most people do assume that they are...