It seems a problem I had with Windows XP has just gotten worse. Over the last couple of months, I noticed that my computer for no reason whatsoever would shutdown and reboot. In some cases when I would go to shutdown it would just restart back up at Windows. It might take several times to shut down. Well now it just doesn't boot into Windows at all, except into Safe Mode.
Here is the BSOD error that I get that is all too familiar I noticed on different forums:
STOP 0x0000007f (0x00000008,0x80042000,0x0000000,0x0000000)
It tells me I might have faulty memory or a faulty video card. So before anyone jumps the gun about providing a solution. Read below carefully what I have tried so far. This has really stumped me.
Things I have tried so far:
1. Ran MEMTEST Overnight-11 passes-no errors-memory reads fine.
2. Done Chkdsk /r in Recovery Console-machine boots up normally and then fails to boot again.
3. Disabled all start-up items in Safe Mode and still fails to boot normally.
4. Tried to do a Repair through Windows XP CD installation CD-still fails to boot up normally.
5. Ran Hardware Diagnostic CD-The Troubleshooter v.7.02-Self Booting Diagnostics-by Smart-Certify Direct-ran tests on motherboard, CPU, RAM, Video Card, Cluster REad Test on Hard Drive-all passed with w/flying colours
6. Am NOT Running NOrton or anything Symantec-as some people have had problem with these programs about this error-using F-secure for my virus checker
7. Ran full virus and spyware (Spy Sweeper) latest version-nothing found-just before unit was able to boot normally again
8. Updated Motherboard BIOS to the latest
9. Replaced Both RAM Chips with another 512 MB Chip of a different brand
10. Tried to install new video card driver for my ATI Card after uninstalling old one in safe mode-won't let me install one as Windows won't properly install a generic driver.
11. Ran Dr. Watson in Safe Mode-no fault found.
12. Disabled page file, restarted computer, still failed.
13. Ran Spybot with latest definitions in SafeMode-computer rebooted once properly into Windows after finding some spyware-then it ran into the blue screen again.
Intel Pentium 3.4 Ghz Hyper-Threading
Intel 915PBL Motherboard
512MB DDR2 PC4200 RAM
ATI Radeon X700 PRO 256MB PCI Express
74 GB WD Raptor HD 10,000 RPM
Pioneer 4x DVD-R Burner
Sony 48x DVD-ROM
Antec Sonata Case
I have attached a zip file of the last couple of minidumps the comp did so anyone can analyze at www.geocities.com/wisn88.
I have researched around the internet and gotten no answers.