Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Browser not accessing Network

• Please log in to reply

PSD

PSD

• Pip
  • 6 posts
11/23/2005 --

** Thank you to all. This particular problem was due to a bad installation of "Norton Internet Security" software. **
----------------------

I have an XP SP1 system with an high speed ethernet connect. The computer had a boat load of viruses and spyware. I booted the system in save mode with network connection and was able to download Ad-aware, SpyBot, AnitVir, and WinPatrol. I then rebooted in normal mode and installed and ran Ad-aware, Spybot and AntiVir. They all found and fixed viruses & spyware. In loading WinPatrol, I ended up with the Autoexec.NT. missing problem. To resolve this, I re-extracted command.com, autoexec.nt & config.nt as recommended. I was then able to install WinPatrol.

Unfortunately, This does not fix my Internet access problem. :) I cannot access internet with a normal startup. Booting in save mode is the only time my IE browser can access Internet. :tazz:

I decided my next step was to reinstall (repair) the XP installation, so I did a backup of all the files and followed your directions, but ran into this small stumbling block. The system has two partitions and I'm not sure which one to repair XP to. The screen has these two entries:

-: Partition 1 [FAT] 31 MB (24 MB free)
C: Partition 2 [NTFS] 38131 MB (29898 MB free)

My guess is Partition 2, but would like confirmation.

Also, are there some other steps I should try before re-installing (repairing) XP?

Thank you in advance,
- Pat

11/11/05 - Additional findings:
I installed Firefox and it too did not communicate with the network.
Also I was told that the problems started right after trying to upgrade Norton Antivirus (could be suite)

Here are the displays on the bottom left of the IE browse when trying to connect to http://www.msn.com/
* Detecting Proxy Setting
* connectiong to 207.68.173.254
* res://c:\windows\system32\shdock.dll/dnserror.htm (I could not find the dll - maybe I recorded it wrong)

Thanks again in hopes for assistance
- Pat

Edited by PSD, 23 November 2005 - 06:01 PM.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go

It would be the second partition if that is what you what to do, the first would be a troble shooting console, or simlar.

I don't think a repare install will help you at all

I see that three days ago you posted This in the malware forum and that no one has replyed. My advice would be to post in the Three Day and No Reply this is where people still after help post, after 3 days. We get hundreds of posts every day so we do have a back log of posts to answer and some can slip through.