Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need a new video card?

• Please log in to reply

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Hi there,

I recently just purchased the pc game called age of empires 3, and when i put the disk in it says...

I think i need a new video card or graphics card, and if i do what one should i get thats cheap and will run age of empires 3 in perfect graphics like on the back of the case?

And if i need a new video or graphics card, how do i install it? Do i go down to a computer shop and let people there install it for me or is it a job that you can do yourself?

I click 'attempt to run' and it plays the game but the graphics are absoulutly rubbish!

Also if i click 'click for more information about this error' it takes me to this page...

http://www.agecommun...leshooting.aspx

Also my screen reselution is at its max which is '1024 by 768 pixels'.

Will i need a new screen aswell? I just don't know?

Please help! :)

Thanks! :tazz:

Edited by Allsortshop, 06 November 2005 - 04:57 AM.

Advertisements

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ive had a look on the internet and then searched eBay and found these...

NVidia GeForce 6200 256MB With DVI & TV-Out
http://cgi.ebay.co.u.....AMEWA:IT&rd=1

NVIDIA 6600 256MB16XPCI-E GRAPHICS CARD BRAND NEW
http://cgi.ebay.co.u.....AMEWA:IT&rd=1

What one will run better on age of empires 3?

And do i need to purchase one of these to solve my problem?

Oldjim

Oldjim

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Please check your motherboard and processor specs.
It is possible that the mobo may only support 4x AGP which I think rules out these cards.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
How do i check my motherboard and processor specs?

:tazz:

Oldjim

Oldjim

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
The information should be given in the documentation which came with your computer.
Alternatively you coukld try this program which should give most of the information
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en
At least it should identify the CPU and the motherboard manufacturer and reference number

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok,

Im downloading that program now and also i have had a look...
http://www.nvidia.co...e/geforce6.html

I will probably be purchasing the NVidia GeForce 6200.

I will just do the check with the software program now.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Right i have looked and this is what it said...

CPU Properties:
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (28 x 100)
CPU Alias: Northwood, A80532
CPU Stepping: D1
Instruction Set: x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2
Original clock: 2800 MHz
Min / Max CPU Multiplier: 28x / 28x
Engerneering Sample: No
L1 Trance Cache: 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache: 8KB
L2 Cache: 512KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

There is so much information it gives me.

Is there some sort of specific infomation you want me to look up?

Oldjim

Oldjim

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was concerned that you may have a celeron processor but the P4 is much better.
Further checking indicates that most of the 6200 cards support 4X and 8X AGP so you may be OK but you should check with the actual card you intend to purchase
If you create a report using the wizard - hardware only - it should give you full details of the motherboard so you can then check if it supports 8X AGP or not.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok, ive created a report but i dont know how to check if it supports 8X APG?

Ive attached the report.

Please can you check?

Oldjim

Oldjim

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I think you may have a problem.
This motherboard appears to have a non standard AGP slot - described as short - as it is a Compaq it could be a special.
see this thread for a further explanation
http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=54299
I suggest you should check with your supplier/Compaq to find out a little more. Alternatively someone on this forum may be able to provide further guidance
Sorry but I have no experience of the latest Compaqs but I know we had major problems upgrading the older models as we had to buy Compaq special components

Advertisements

Oldjim

Oldjim

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just done a little more digging.
The motherboard chip is an Intel Brookdale-G i845GE and the only motherboard I can find from MSI using this chip is this one
http://www.msi.com.t...ail.php?UID=591
This is a microatx board so there could be a restriction on the length of AGP card which can be fitted. This may explain the problem.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
So basically i need to buy a brand new mother board and then buy the new NVidia GeForce 6200 and then fit it?

Is there any video card that i can buy that will play age of empires 3 at amazing graphics but will work with my motherboard? So i would only need to buy a new video card to play age of empires 3 in great graphics not a new mother board aswell?

Also, if i get a really good video card that works with my mother board, will the graphics be to much for my screen reselution at 1024 x 768 pixels? Or would i have to get a new screen aswell?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it really depends on the room in the case if it is simply a micro atx mobo in an atx case there will be enough room assuming there isnt a fan in the way on the mobo.
Use cpu z to find the slot type i prefer it and its much simpler to use and undertand, the 6200 wouldnt play it like on the back of the box, your looking for something with more clout for that.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
So what video card would play it like on the back of the box?

Oldjim

Oldjim

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Easy question first.
The fact that your monitor is limited to 1026 x 768 at 75Hz is not a problem for any graphics card as they support all resolutions from vga upwards.
Changing the motherboard is not an option as that this dictated by the case size.
However I really don't know what type of card your motherboard/power supply will support nor what the space restrictions of your case are.
Unless you get another reply I suggest you contact Compaq or the original supplier and see what they say. There must be a solution as there are many microatx systems sold.