Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Vs Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I wasn't around in the DOS era really, but I have used Windows 95, and I still understand Linux (for the most part :tazz:).

There are going to be (last I heard) like 7 editions of Vista, so the basic one (Vista Starter Edition) should be fairly cheap.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its probably easier if you never used dos i keep trying to put dos commands into linux abd obviously getting nowhere, if ony i could find dos shell my prayers would be answered, perhaps it was nostalga but that was such a great thing to use in dos.

2coolforu

2coolforu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think for the time being people will have XP because its pretty well made(sorta) Windows Vista (tried the beta) is a system hog but windows vista will probably be preloaded in new computers so eventually "take over"

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
ahhh! warriorscot i was using slackware the other night, and i found out a lot of dos commands work in the shell i was using. I think it was Xterm, i kinda stumbled onto it by accident because i was using dos in uni. (trust me, awhn you use both it gets very confusing)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah i was trying to configure slax for my usb pen the other night and i kept going between DOS and what linux i know(the guy that comes up with some of the commands for linux needs a slap) DOS was great because the commands while to took a while to learn them they were pretty common sense. And never try to boot up linux off a broken cd rw causes no end of confusion.
At uni they use the fedora core linux up in the infromatics labs, they have it tweaked to no end its pretty snazzy.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
sweet

yeah, the unix command line is a bit more complex...then again it was written by and for people who know what they are doing...the new KDE is pretty sweeet tho yeah?

Dr. Gutstein

Dr. Gutstein

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
For now XP is better and with a time i think that people would take more vista.. :tazz:

~Dr. Gutstein~

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What you may have seen from beta 1 of Vista is a long way from the finished product. It will be much more attractive when it's released. Also, XP was never a big hit with corporate users, Vista has paid close attention to their needs, so I think just from that alone you'll see a much wider adoption rate. Finally, XP promised to be the most secure Windows ever, but I think Vista will deliver on that promise. What I've seen is very impressive.

grooverider1

grooverider1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hiya all
i am at the moment beta testing vista gotta say i aint impressed obviously there are bugs floating about which i carnt get into much detail . i dont like the idea of the media centre built in and also dont like the layout of explorer 7. but all reviews get back.

and in my own opinion to run the thing you need some power example memory proccesor etc. which aint gunna go down well with people who dont want to splash out on cash.

my opinion xp but if u like the visuals and u have the right spec pc then vista

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
In time we will see Vista > XP, especially when it's released as gold; lots of new good technology getting incorporated and performance optimized as they get close to gold code. I'm looking forward to Vista Beta 2 to see what gets cleaned up and maybe added. I find Vista Beta1 to be good for a "beta" release. Anyone who survived the old 3.* NT betas knows what I mean, especially until 2000 and XP Betas came along.

XP is a workhorse for us at work and our systems at home, and Vista gold will likely be a welcome replacement for many...

Advertisements

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
I dont know why they cant just stick with XP i mean they come out with something new every year or summit! I hope XP will kill Vista ! :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
XP was released 5 years ago its been the longest span of time without a new windows ever.

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Only ~4 years, but a looong time and the security fixes for SP1 & especially SP2 was a big "free" release helping to get security things "fixed", diverting their original plans to rake in more M$ on Longhorn, which got delayed...

Vista will carry the security tune better (better built than 2K and XP, but they were pretty good IMO) to help fill in and squeeze out additional security holes. For several reasons (reliability, robustness, resilience, security, etc.), I look forward to the Vista release in 2006, if we are lucky to not see a lengthy delay...

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i dont want to change the path of this thread. but what someone said earlier about linux especialy redhat making a stronger push to get into the market of home pcs. that would be a really good idea. but going on the topic that it is a bit difficult for new to average users, some people should make a linux distro, with the purpose in mind of replacing windows. not nececarily looking like, or running windows programs, (ex, not linspire) but like if you took a average linux distro, added a more user friendly terminal interface, and added the plug and play'ness of windows xp, so that any usb mini drive or digital camera would just automaticly be detected and mounted. it would be just awesome. and would offer a less drastic alternatve to windows.

but back to the topic. i dont like what i'm discovering about vista, and i hope windows xp lasts a little longer. i dont mind using a 5 year old operating system, just as long as all hardware and software still work. and i dont think security is a big issue. windows xp is more than secure if you watch what sites your going to and dont do anything stupid like downloading toolbars, and screensavers and such that commonly contain viruses.

btw. i dont like the new look of vista.

nothing can be more beautiful than the screenshots ive seen of suse 10 running kde 3.4

Edited by Thebinaryman, 04 December 2005 - 09:01 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well what you are wanting is what suse are trying to do, but i think plug and play is patened to MS i think, and MS have a million monkeys going round gettting companies to encorparate compatibility with the plug and play technology into their hardware.