Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Vs Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
what sort of video card do you think the Windows Vista will have ? i heard they need 128MB in video memory with ALL that high detail colour they put into it

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I heard 256mb was minimum, with lowest quality textures, recommended 1gb which is not even made today. Dont buy a card now and count on highest detail levels with vista.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
While I agree that XP is starting to age, the security and stability of this system is unmatched, exept by Vista obviously.

XP has become the most used ( well probably ) OS in the market, and has stayed there scince it's presentation, for the new shift in the Shell Look, Added Plug-And-Play, and everything else.

And XP is designed for computers that is in reach of almost anyone nowadays. I have 512 RAM, 80GB HDD, 128MB Vid card, and i can multi-task the Dos code outta this machine without ever feeling any lag.

But the fact that Vista requires a MINIMUM of 512 to operate, at minimal settings, troubles me to the highest point.

Not everyone is ready to afford 1, and 2 GB of RAM, and the more powerful vid cards, etc etc.

I think Vista will be a MAJOR FLOP in the first few years because of this. Untill the people have no choice but to upgrade, because of the new PCIE technology, XP is and will remain the most used.

Myself was planning to switch immediately to Vista once it came out, but after looking over the specifications, i've come about entirely, and will stick with XP as long as i can.

For sure, i will at some point experiment Vista, to get a feel on it, but i seriously doubt it'll be as popular as Gates thinks it'll be.

Especially with the major 3 plans that was supposed to go into Vista, notably the new WinFS file sytem, that arent going to happen, i dont see the point at all.

And like one of you said, if you watch what sites you visit, XP security is amply good.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I think microsoft is just very arrogant, and take for granted most of the stuff they made became an industry standard. Now they think they can produce anything, and it will be good because it is microsoft. They are horribly wrong, sure vista will be an immediate hit, by a) the people who dont know any better, and b)full computer manufacturers like dell, hp, gateway, etc. will all have vista preloaded on thier upper end machines. Which brings me to the question, if most of todays premade computers are budget computers, (no one wants to pay more than $1000 these days), then how can these computers have good enough hardware to run vista smoothly? It seems to me microsoft has these big ideas, but didnt yet work out the means to carry them out. They have the end in mind, but have miscalculated the path to get there.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
will they be still making XP PC's when Vista comes out ??? imagine all the people selling there XP PC's for Vista lol WHAT ARE THEY DOING :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont have to pay for a new PC to get vista, Vista is being marketed not for low end users but mid to high end users with good computers, most of its newest features are either security or high end multimedia realated, it has some fantastic features for gamers.

And 512Mb is getting the standard and the fact that you can buy new memory pretty cheaply and most new computers sold by the time it is released will have at least the minimum.

Requirement but microsoft arent selling it as the next OS for everyone at least not at first, its going to be people that play games and do alot of multimedia work people with good systems and who want the best performance for what they do.

MS say that Vista will run better than XP on any system that meets the minimum requirements it like alot of software it uses as much resources as you tell it to, if a game is lagging you turn down the detail settings its the same for Vista.

Ill probably get vista, by the time it comes out i should have 2gig of ram and at least a 512Mb gfx card, maybe an X2 if i have the money, so ill be fine and all my lan party firends will be fine. As a keen gamer i cant wait its going to put the PC even further ahead of consoles when it comes to gaming.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I currently have beta1 of Vista installed on a Dell laptop. It's a PentiumM 1.6 with 512MB of RAM, and shared Intel graphics. Because of the graphics limitations the transparency isn't enabled, but everything else is. The performance is a little slower than XP, but I chalk that up to being an early beta version more than Vista being a system hog.

Vista will require higher system specs than XP, but I think it will work on the majority of systems sold in the last couple of years. XP doesn't perform very well with 256MB of RAM either.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
:tazz: Admin may i ask where you can get the Vista Beta1 skin from ? if you know could you post the link Thanks

Edited by NvidiaDude, 07 December 2005 - 12:52 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I have the beta from Microsoft (should actually get a new build later today). There are places that offer XP skins to look like Vista: http://www.google.co...en&q=vista skin

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Thanks for the link admin never thought of searching that lol

Advertisements

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Windows Vista Skin Link >>> http://www.getskinne...0&sortby=Newest

1.95MB to download

Edited by NvidiaDude, 07 December 2005 - 01:07 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I have a vista skin for Aston its ok but i prefer normal aston to it.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Where you get that from

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The aston homepage, aston is great i would reccomend it, saves alot of system resources and improves your startup times(that bit between windows has started and you can use it is much shorter with it).

And its more functional i would definately reccomend it here ill post a screenie.

Its not bad personally i prefer standard aston 1.9.1 skin but you might like it, aston is really good though, i was using style xp but this is much better.

Attached Thumbnails

• screen_1.JPG
  • screen_2.JPG

Edited by warriorscot, 07 December 2005 - 06:20 PM.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
I have an Nvidia XP Skin on my pc its better than the vista skin http://www.wincustom...earchtxt=Nvidia

You need WindowBlinds to install and i like windowblinds its da best

I Like my Wallpaper i think it Rocks

Download the wallpaper Here

Attached Thumbnails

• My_Nvidia_XP_Skin.JPG

Edited by NvidiaDude, 08 December 2005 - 03:58 AM.