Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Vs Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

Fake

Fake

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I reckon vista will be a mad o/s. I have downloaded the start menu and it looks awesome. I have read so much about the new "vista" and i think that in a few yrs the price of computers will drop, everyone will buy a new 1 and every1 will be running vista.

well yes, Vista will be good, ive download the Vista them and it looks great, and as for popularity, well the new computers at the computer shops or markets will have Vista preinsallted on them, and the fact that the big Halo 2, with new maps and better online play, will only support Vista will push thousands of users to get vista. I know that ill be one of them, not just for Halo 2, but for the new experience.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, if halo2 is the reason you buy a PC your in for a shock, HALO is a really mediocre game there is so much better for the PC than there is for the consoles and they are alot more advanced, youre gonna have fun with Vista, the gaming ability is something that has been a big factor in this OS which will make it popular with alot of high end users as no other OS is as good at gaming as windows.

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
hey warriorscot, dont u like VISTA?

mrj676

mrj676

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think windows xp still stands the test of time and its convience. Why bring along a whole new operating system with minor touch ups? Just a way to make money for microsoft. and who thinks xp has a nicer ring than vista?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hmm... Not a single reply to this topic since Sept 2006, and the operating system wasn't even out yet then! Hehe

Let's get some real conversation going here about Vista now that it is out.

I myself LOVE Vista. People in previous posts say that it has only mediocre upgrades to XP. Mediocre??? I could write a very long list on the supposed 'mediocre' upgrades, but I will just name a few:
  • Aero Theme
  • Built-in DVD burning support
  • Much more USEFUL information show in the Task Manager
  • Very easy to tell which process is running what application, and what service is running for a given process by the use of a simple right-click on the item listed in the tabs of the Task Manager.
  • Chess Titans - Very cool, nice looking 3-D chess game. You might not think it's much, but considering the best on XP was minesweeper and solitaire...
  • Trying to create a standardized rating system to use on computers. This is the Windows Experience Index. It is nice that someone is trying to standardize computer power. It will make it a lot easier for the normal user to check and see if their computer will play a certain game or not before they buy it. I agree it needs a little work. Making your score the lowest value instead of an actual score isn't the best right now, but it will be improved on.
  • More advanced Recovery System so users can recover from normal errors easily instead of trying to read the MS Language of Errors. :whistling:
  • Windows Update integrated into the operating system so you don't have to worry about going through a browser to get updates, which will cause less problems.
  • Windows Media Center is drastically improved from the oft buggy MCE XP versions.
There, that is just a couple of the so-called mediocre changes in Vista. There are plenty more, but I think you all get the picture by me just pointing out a couple of things.

Now I know that Vista isn't perfect, but it has only been out for not even half a year yet. XP was much worse when it first came out. It took over six months for most companies to roll out drivers for it that worked with their hardware. Vista basically had all important drivers ready at launch. And by important, I don't mean printers, scanners, cameras, etc... I mean motherboards, video cards, sound cards, network adapters.

Vista is a much faster, sleeker looking operating system then XP was. Don't get me wrong, I loved XP, but I love Vista even more!

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 21 May 2007 - 10:59 AM.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Although I know it's buggy, hoggy and basically - not yet ready for being upgraded to, I am going to try it very soon, as I like to play around with operating systems - I have to understand myself why the critics like/not like Vista - Seeing is believing. I will report my thoughts on this after I finish with my tests. :whistling:

Adebisi

Adebisi

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Having used Vista now for 4 days, I can honestly say I despise it so far. It has been one fight after another to do things that were so easy to learn to do in XP.

Its like, everything I want to do, Vista has decided in advance to not allow it. Now I am sure there are ways to overcome all these issues I keep having. And I am sure I will figure out the work arounds. But as far as Vista being something easy to adopt and immediately use, perhaps it is if all you do is game and email and surf the net.

And slower? OMG it is so obviously slower. I dual boot for now, but primarily use Vista for the sake of learning Vista. But simple things like moving files, installing little programs, take much longer on Vista then XP. I am told this has to do with the DRM overhead. When I go back into XP for some reason, its like the wind hit my sails. My computer is just faster for every little thing I try to do. And using the same programs to boot. And its not like my computer is a slouch. It scores a 5.7 on the Vista performance thing-a-ma-jig, so it should be more than powerful enough to instal Speedfan and NVU at the same speed I did in XP. Even those little tiny install jobs are obviously much slower to do. Very frustrating to buy and build a brand new system only to find it slower than your old one due to the OS.

I am sorely tempted to turn off the UAC and go back to using Winpatrol and Spyware Blaster to do pretty much the same function (keeping unauthorized things from installing or changing my settings). UAC has caused me alot of trouble. Even when I "allow" stuff I find out later that UAC, or Windows Defender which seems tied to UAC some how, decided not to allow it anyway.

Anyway, yes, very annoyed with Vista so far.

And aero? Big let down. Nothing worth upgrading to get. My advice is that 99% of home users should just buy Vista BASIC if they need Vista. Unless you need remote desktop, or run a domain server, or plan to do a lot of video editting (the video editting stuff in Vista is actually awesome) then there is no need for anything more. You can pretty much get freeware to do it all anyway and I am sure a freeware version of aero to use on Vista basic won't be far off.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I think it all depends on what you are using the computer for. Vista does have a lot of nice new(or at least updated) features that Win XP doesn't have. Most programs will run better and faster on XP, though, at least until the software companies come up with updates that make the program run much smoother on Vista. Software companies will, in the future, be taking advantage of Vista's new features, so you can either wait until that happens or get Vista now and have to wait.