Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Use of RIS Web Export

• Please log in to reply

mkos

mkos

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a peculiar issue. I am using a program form ISI called Reference Manager. The program makes use of a a program called RIS Web Export Helper (RISWEB). In this program a user can dowloand information from a Website directly into the Refman application. Unfortunatley it does not seem to want to work using IE. It does work using Mozilla Firefox. So at this point I am a little vexed with the issue of why one browser seems to work and the other does not. As well the software vendor is washing their hands of the issue and are saying the problem is on my computer, which it may be.

Based on my reading, the utility refered to as RISWEB is really a combination of dll files called RISXTD. The RISXTD is looking for the extension on the files that are being sent down. Once it sees the extension it pops open refman and its importer. The extensions also drive the importer so that it knows which filter to pick during the import. The export helper invokes dll files to first open the Refman program then import the file with the appropriate script. The sequence of events work fine in Mozilla Firefox and does so in IE all the way until the command is sent to downloard the information. The the system simply does nothing. Since the program Refman is opening I am supposing that somewhere in this cascade of the dll files one is not being invoked properly. So which one is that?

Is there some way that I can actually see what the script is that is being sent down from the websties??
:tazz:

Advertisements