Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Storage disk unrecognized by XP after system crash

• Please log in to reply

Elaguila

Elaguila

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Greetings!

Not long ago, I had a system crash. After re-installing XP, my Seagate Barracuda (my storage disk) isn't recognized by XP.
I used GetDataBackForNTFS to salvage the most important stuff and copy them to my system disk.
However... after having used GetDataBack a few times, my storage disk suddenly shows up under My computer.
How did this happen???

The reason why I'm asking, is because I suffered another system crash on Friday, and the problem has re-occured; XP doesn't recognize the storage disk.
It shows up in the device manager, is functioning properly, has new drivers installed etc. But in the disk manager, it says it's unreadable and that I need to format it in order to re-connect it to my system, meaning losing all my data. No thanks.

So anyway, here I am, excactly where I was 3 weeks ago. But at least this time, I know that something can be done, but unfortunately, I don't know WHAT!

Hope you guys can help me.
I've searched the net, this forum, Seagates website, Microtrashs website but haven't found anything that can help me. I am pretty certain that this is a common problem, though, since I have a few friends who have had this happen to them (they formatted their drives so they don't know how to fix it).

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Elaguila

Elaguila

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry for the double post!