Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File and Printer sharing with desktop win 2000 and xp notebooks

• Please log in to reply

utschy

utschy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,
I have a 1999 Dell Dimension desktop with Windows 2000 Professional. This computer is where I usually attach my printers. I usually use an HP laserjet with what I think is a parallel port. I have two notebook pc's with windows XP. I have managed to allow them to share files. However, I haven't seemed to be able to get my win 2000 model connected to the other computers and I would like them to be able to print through this desktop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

adrian

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I have this type of system on my home network; you simply add a network printer on the XP systems and point to the 2K system printer. Also ensure your XP systems firewall settings are set to allow file/printer sharing. Depending on what printer drivers you currently have, there is a possibility of having to update your printer drivers for the XP systems.