Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Windows Media Player 10 isn't playing AVI files why?

• Please log in to reply

CestLaVie

CestLaVie

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi my name is josh and my Window Media Player version 10 isn't playing avi files why is that?
I'd really like some help

thank you :tazz:
Josh Nguyen

Advertisements

Chachazz

Chachazz

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
Hi CestLaVie:

This is the Program Updates forum; your post will be moved so someone can assist you.

:tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Very likely you are missing some codecs. You can download a little appy called GSpot and open the files with it to find what codecs you need and whether they are loaded or not.

red_elf

red_elf

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hiya Josh,
i had a similar problem on my pc, although i never got my windows media player to play the avi i downloaded divx player which works like a charm, so now i watch my avis on that :tazz:

CestLaVie

CestLaVie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks red elf but I already have Divx player so im gonna go with the google advice

Thanks though

CestLaVie

CestLaVie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
ok here are the results

I dont think its the it says in the File part in the stat

" this is an invalid AVI file due to corruption of the data in the header. THis is a serious problem, and this files is not likely to playable

Details: while processing chunck /Riff:AVI, found bad length value 182652778 at file offset 0x00002804"

and when i Rendered it It said " Rendering failed " and " Direct show was unable to render the file. Following is the error it reported 0x80040216: VFW_E_NOT_FOUND - An object name was not found.

hope the informations usefull So i guess the question is How do i fix the header so it could play correctly and all those numbers and whatever I don't know what that all is

thanks for helping me