Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

taskbar icons disappeared

• Please log in to reply

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Don't know what happened but 2 of my icons in the taskbar where the clock is have disappeared. The sound and usb drive icons are there and i can click on them to open them up but it is a blank space where they should be. Other icons like the clock, ZA, win patrol, disk detector, and my corel media indexer are still there. I cant seem to right click and do a properties to bring back the icons. Going thru control panel does'nt help either. I'm getting tired of wiping the drive and reinstalling windows again. This will be the forth time in the last six months. Running XP home on a athlon 2600 puter.The 80G drive has 2 partitions, One 10G windows partition and a 70G data partition. I reall don't have any problems with this puter (or my others) except these niggling problems that seem to happen to all 4 XP puters i run.

SRX660

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Dose formating fix it? There are other ways to fix problems caused by what I am guessing is corupt files. The easyest is sfc /scannow, go

Start < Run < and type sfc /scannow. This will give a blue bar what it goes reboot. This will need the Windows XP CD so have that ready. This will fix all missing or corrupt Windows XP Files.

The other option is a repaire install, read This to find out how to do it.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Hi SRX660,
Sometimes the cache where info about the icons in the notification area is stored becomes full and the notification area acts weird.
Download and run the following script from Kelly's Korner:
http://www.kellys-ko...p_pastitems.vbs

Note: Your antivirus might give a warning while running the script, pls. ignore it and let hte script run.