Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AOL Connectively Service & XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

heydrich

heydrich

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This concerns the AOL Connectively Service, which is required to run AOL 9.0 SE software, and its (AOLacsd.exe in the Task Manager) habit of forcing itself into the XP start-up process list. One of the basics of system security is that every process on a Windows NT/2K/XP machine runs with the access of the account that launches it. So in this case, since it’s being booted with SYSTEM permissions, it gives the AOL software Administrator clearance over your entire computer.

Like a lot of AOL users, I was highly concerned about this. So here is how I disabled it:

1.) Make sure that no AOL software is running.

Advice Removed

After making these changes, AOL will be perpetually denied Administrator permissions, and none of its software will be running after a restart as well.

Has anyone else found a different solution to this problem? And can anyone see any serious unforeseen consequences to my tweak? Thanks for any help!

Edited by ScHwErV, 07 November 2005 - 12:53 PM.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
There could be a number of consequences to your tweak. First, the registry entries that you change have nothing to do with AOL, they are general settings and doing so would stop a number of other programs from running.

Second, it seems like an awful lot of work to go through to get rid of a process that really doesnt take up that much as far as system resources goes.

For these reasons, I removed the majority of your post.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Like a lot of AOL users, I was highly concerned about this. So here is how I disabled it:

1.) Make sure that no AOL software is running.

Should read as follows:

1.) Make sure that you completey REMOVE AOL so that no AOL software is running.
2.) Go and get SBC YAHOO DSL, it's $8/mo cheaper then AOL and doesn't hose your system.
3.) Live happily ever after, the end.

:tazz: :) :) :woot: :woot:

Fenor

* EDIT -- Just so you all know, I'm just having a bit of fun here :woot: *

Edited by Fenor, 07 November 2005 - 06:43 PM.

heydrich

heydrich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
>>There could be a number of consequences to your tweak. First, the registry entries that you change have nothing to do with AOL, they are general settings…<<

Excuse me? One entry disabled the MSConfig folder; the other targeted another specific location. And these indirect methods have “nothing to do” with AOL because like I mentioned, AOLacsd.exe is required and can’t be directly disabled!

>>Second, it seems like an awful lot of work to go through to get rid of a process that really doesnt take up that much as far as system resources goes.<<

That process actually launches three (aoltpspd.exe, aoltsmon.exe, AOLacsd.exe) applications genius. And these take up disproportionate resources, especially for a browser, irregardless of whether it’s even used. Boot time is dramatically faster with them incapacitated as well.

>>For these reasons, I removed the majority of your post.<<

Real nice dude, welcome a new user by censoring them. And for reasons were you didn’t even get your facts straight. What’s the name of this forum again? Censorship To Go?

Edited by heydrich, 08 November 2005 - 12:10 AM.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
AOL 9.0 has a functionality that no other aol software has had before... namely the ability to not install it and to configure your aol connection using the internet connection wizard that is part of windows.

the best way of stopping aol from messing up your machine is by not installing it in the first place, and now you can. this is not widely documented and I'm sure aol hates it. but if you google 'aol without software', you'll get full tutorials on how to set up your machine to access the net through aol without the software.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

One entry disabled the MSConfig folder

right.....and AOLacsd.exe is the only service that resides in that folder.....good job genius

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You may call it censorship if you wish, but my job is to protect our users. Your method was untested and unnecessary.

Since this thread can go nowhere but down, its closed.

ScHwErV :tazz: