Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes after loading desktop

• Please log in to reply

Cherbird

Cherbird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: I need help! I'm having problems with a computer (Windows 98 SE) that we use in our office, and which has worked fine for years with no problems. It gradually started freezing up each time as my son (who works for us and uses it) was working on it. It would work for awhile after Windows loaded, but would eventually freeze. Now it freezes as soon as the desktop is loaded. Both the mouse and keyboard freeze and can't be used. BUT they work in safemode just fine, which usually means it's a hardware problem.
I have tried everything I know, including some things I read about in the postings on this website. I have re-installed Windows 98 several times. I have gone to the DOS prompt and fixed the registry. I have chosen not to load any/some of the config.sys, system.ini, Autoexec.bat, Win.ini, and Startup. I have changed the settings in the System Configuration Utility under Advanced. I have run Norton AntiVirus, checked for spyware with my spyware program, and ran Scandisk and Defrag. I have used System File Checker. I have used the startup menu in DOS (each of the steps listed I've tried). I do have a couple of devices in Device Manager that have the yellow question marks, but they only appeared after I reinstalled Windows 98 SE. They weren't there before when the computer first started freezing up, so I don't feel they are the issue. I can think of no other options to try. I need a miracle! Please help!
Thank you,
Cherbird

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
When you reinstaled Win98, prior to putting any software on the system, did it run ok or was it slow and freezing even then?

If Norton has been installed throughout, try uninstalling and see if the system runs better. If this proves to be the culprit you can get an excellent free AV here: http://www.majorgeek...ownload886.html

Cherbird

Cherbird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks 1069 for your reply!
Win98 SE installed both times in a normal, timely manner with no freeze-ups or hang-ups, but I re-installed it from the DOS prompt. The first time I re-installed it, I used a version of Win98 SE that said it had to be used with a new computer (meaning it was not just an upgrade). I uploaded the files into a different folder on my hard drive, then deleted the old windows folder after the new one was re-installed.
The second time I re-installed Win 98 SE, I used a version of Win98 SE which was only to be used when upgrading from another version of Windows. I used the same folder that time.
It doesn't seem to matter how many times I re-install or upgrade, I still have a frozen mouse, keyboard, and computer at desktop.
The following are a few of my ideas as to what may be causing the freeze-ups:
The computer is 5 yrs. old so it may be the hard drive or some other hardware that has just worn out.
It could be a bad driver.
It could be a driver that needs to be updated.
It could spyware/adware that my spyware software wasn't able to detect.
Norton anti-virus software was removed from my computer, and that made no difference. I couldn't uninstall it in safe mode, so I just deleted everything I could find when using "Find", then re-installed Win98 SE for a new computer so it would install a new registry, but of course that did not solve the problem. If it was the registry, wouldn't that be fixed when I re-installed the version of Win98 SE made only for installation on new computers?
Thanks again 1069 for your ideas, and for taking out time to write them down an send them. I hope that by defining my actions in more detail, it will give some insight into what could be wrong.
Have a GREAT evening! :tazz:
Cherbird