Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer lock up

• Please log in to reply

amiller724

amiller724

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have windows xp that is less than a year old. within this past month it is not only running slow but I can't open my pictures, pictures won't open, if I try to x out the screen goes white and the hour glass just hangs. I currently have Norton 2005 Internet Security and I also run weekly Microsoft Security, AdAware, Spywareblaster, Spybot search and destsroy, a2, cwshredder, bazooka and Trend House Call. As far as I know everything is clean. I'm still having problems. I did a system restore back to August 29, 2005 and it worked for a time. Also, whenever I try to load pictures from my digital camera, or a disk with photos or other info everything freezes. I'm thinking about taking my computer to Staples. They have a staff of computer techs who may be able to diagnose and solve the problems. I am not a computer person. I know how to do few things so sometimes the language throws me. So if any one has any suggestions--English please.
Thanks
ann

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open the CD ROM Drive used to install Windows, insert the XP CD but leave the drawer open. Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter and close the CD ROM Drive drawer. You will get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot. This will check for and replace missing or corrupt system files.

You can check for an improvement after running sfc /scannow then after each step until you have run through them all, if necessary

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, all the files in the folder will now be highlighted, right click any file, click delete, a box will appear asking if you want to delete all the files, confirm the delete then reboot

If no change

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update