Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new hard drive wont install Dell Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

csmaller

csmaller

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a new seagate 120 gb internal that I am replacing as a master in my dell dimension 8300 due to a dead HD of the same label. however, the original is an ATA serial and this is a 40 pin ATA, which I got a cable and hooked up, changed the jumper on the HD to be the master, and tried to boot and format. My machine doesnt recognize it and wont let me format. any thoughts??
thanks
Corey

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did the drive come with any software? if not go to the maxtor website and get their formatting tool...once you run that you should be able to install windows on it

csmaller

csmaller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i got windows installed but I cant access the internet even though I have the cable connected...hmmm...
cant connect to the internet or find shared folders... what to do?