Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL and SP2

• Please log in to reply

TwinsMetsFan

TwinsMetsFan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all,

I'm not sure which forum this should be posted under, so I decided to post this topic here. If it should be posted in another location, I apologize.

When I upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2 a while ago, I had no problems whatsoever. However, when I upgraded a friend's computer to SP2 a week ago, he could no longer connect to the internet (using a DSL modem) after installing the service pack. In order to be able to reconnect to the internet, he had to uninstall the service pack, in which case he was able to reconnect perfectly once again. His computer is currently running Windows XP SP1 with every critical update from Microsoft installed up to the release of SP2.

The reason I likely had no problems with SP2 is that I use a dial-up connection, though I do not know how this would make a difference with being able to connect to the internet. In any case, does anyone have any idea why my friend cannot connect to the internet using DSL with SP2?

Sincerely,
TwinsMetsFan

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could set a restore point on the PC, install SP2 then re-install the modem software to see if it gives you a driver not signed error, if it does, check for updated drivers from the manufacturer's site, also check for firmware updates

If there are no new drivers or firmware updates, you may get the signed driver message with a continue anyway, press that and see if the modem will connect

If not, uninstall SP2

It is unlikely the modem will not work with SP2

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

I would also add..../ensure you are installing SP2 on a clean machine...that is one that is malware free.

Big Smiles

HS