Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I recover my data?

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I had a RAID 0 array on my computer. The motherboard died, and when I replaced it, the new RAID controller wouldn't recognize my exisitng array. Instead, it wanted to create a new one. Is there any way I can recover the data on these disks?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I'm not very familiar with RAID and RAID configurations, but I would think that you could take one of the hard drives and set it up as a SLAVE on your computer and copy the files off it that you need. Then you should be able to put it back into the RAID and create a new one as you said it asked you if you wanted to do that.

Again I don't know much about RAID so it's just a guess on my part.

Fenor

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
The array is actually SATA, and a single drive in Windows shows up as unformatted, so no files are visible. I put both drives onto a controller in another system with Windows, and it recognized the size correctly (300 GBs, two 150 GB drives), but once again unformatted.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can download programs, one in particular I like is Recover My Files, to get the files back. It recovered all the files from my hard drive that crashed. It has a 100% success rate on recovering files as long as you haven't tried to put any files back on it. It can find the partitions in the MBR and recover the files. It's only $30 to buy and worth checking out.

Pay $30 or sleep on the couch for a month when the wife finds out you lost the pictures. Tough choice. heh :tazz:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 08 November 2005 - 09:14 PM.