Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot open control panel in ME

• Please log in to reply

super5

super5

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
It me again, get this win message box..."windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file you may not have appropriate permissions to access the item" any help guys and gals will be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy super5...

First we need to see if these registry keys are present. If they're not we'll have to create them and set their values.

Click Start then Run and type regedit in the "Run box"...Click "Ok". In the left pane of the Registry Editor window, click the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then Software, then Classes and see if there is a folder labeled .htc if that registry key is present, click on the .htc folder, and in the right pane, check to see that the "Content Type" value (under "Data") is text/x-component

Click on the - to collapse each of the keys you just expanded.

Now expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and see if the folder .htc is present in this key. Click on the .htc folder, and in the right pane, check to see that the "Content Type" value (under "Data") is text/x-component

Let me know what you find.

wannabe1

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Both keys are there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
super5...

Let's try to open control panel another way...we need to repair your Internet Explorer and will need to access Add/Remove Programs. (I know that sounds goofy, but bare with me)

Click Start then Run and type control...click "Ok". Does this open your Control Panel?

IF you gain access to Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to "Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools", select the entry, and click "Remove". In the next dialog box, you should be offered the options to "Add a Component", "Repair Internet Explorer", or to "Restore to a Previous Windows Configuration". Select "Repair Internet Explorer" and click "Ok".

Let me know if this fixes the problem with Control Panel...you may need to remove and reinstall IE6, but hold off on that for the moment.

wannabe1

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Wannabe,

Nope that didn't work, I got the good old "C:\windows\rundll32 EXE is not a valid ms-dos program file. It may be damaged"

Super5

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
super5...

Please download HiJackThis, install it, run it, and attach a log for me. I will have you edit it out once I have had a look at it.

Please do not follow advice given by others regarding this log...wait for my reply.

wannabe1

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok will do that

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:13:44 PM, on 11/9/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPSYSDRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMMKBD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\HP INSTANT DELIVERY\HPIDSCHD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\KODAKCCS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SUPPORT.COM\BIN\TGCMD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PC MIGHTYMAX\PCMM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MESSENGER\MSMSGS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\KGVXB013A8.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONSCREEN DISPLAY\OSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSNIA\TRAYCLNT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KODAK\KODAK EASYSHARE SOFTWARE\BIN\EASYSHARE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KODAK\KODAK SOFTWARE UPDATER\7288971\PROGRAM\KODAK SOFTWARE UPDATER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\HP INSTANT DELIVERY\HPIDLOG.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\HP INSTANT DELIVERY\HPIDDB.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BACKWEB\BACKWEB\PROGRAM\BWDELAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACK THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapp...rch/search.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://msnmember.msn.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.c...rch/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.c...//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Comcast
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
F1 - win.ini: run=hpfsched
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: YahooTaggedBM Class - {65D886A2-7CA7-479B-BB95-14D1EFB7946A} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: UberButton Class - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPScanPatch] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Delay] C:\WINDOWS\delayrun.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMMKBD] usbmmkbd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mgavrtclexe] C:\WINDOWS\MCBin\AV\Rt\mgavrtcl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPID Scheduler] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Instant Delivery\hpidschd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KodakCCS] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] "C:\Program Files\support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe" /server
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMMRealtime] C:\Program Files\PC MightyMax\pcmm.exe /R
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [f43jlzs66n] C:\WINDOWS\KGVXB013A8.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWARE DOCTOR\SPYDOCTOR.EXE /Q
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [MSMSGS] "C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [f43jlzs66n] C:\WINDOWS\KGVXB013A8.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [AIM] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Spyware Doctor] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWARE DOCTOR\SPYDOCTOR.EXE /Q
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - Startup: MSN Internet Access.lnk = C:\Program Files\MSNIA\TRAYCLNT.EXE
O4 - Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: ComcastHSI - {669B269B-0D4E-41FB-A3D8-FD67CA94F646} - http://www.comcast.net/ (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Support - {8828075D-D097-4055-AA02-2DBFA9D85E8A} - http://www.comcastsupport.com/ (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Help - {97809617-3937-4F84-B335-9BB05EF1A8D4} - http://online.comcast.net/help/ (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://msnmember.msn.com
O16 - DPF: {9DBAFCCF-592F-FFFF-FFFF-00608CEC297C} - http://download.weat...uginstaller.cab
O16 - DPF: {869F3BBC-A812-4D13-A93B-7B3FC816DCD5} (McAfee.com Updater) - http://download.mcaf...can/mcasupd.cab

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
didn't mean to take so long but was on phone with daughter and she is long winded..lol...thnaks wannabe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
super5...

It looks like we've got more than this one issue to deal with. I'd like to have you go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here...then post a fresh HJT log in that forum for the experts to look at.

To move ahead troubleshooting the Control Panel issue, first we'll see if we can find out if you have a corrupt cpl file. First, create a new file on the desktop and name it "temp" (without the quotes). Then click Start and point to Search...select "For files and folders". In the "Search for files and Folders" box, type *.cpl and click "Search Now". Make a list of the files that are found. Then right click on one of the found files and choose "Open Containing Folder"...In this folder, find each of the files on the list you made and cut and paste them into the temp folder you created on the desktop.

Once that has been done, try to open the Control Panel as you normally would. If it does open, don't be surprised that it's empty...that's what we're after.

Let me know if it opens or not so I know how to proceed...

You can edit the HJT log out of your previous post now...the applications I was looking for were not running.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 09 November 2005 - 11:20 PM.

Advertisements

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok, i messed up...need some zzzzzzzzzzz, see ya in the morning ....thanks wannabe1

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
hi, I did as you had instructed (I think) created a temp file on the desktop, then I did the search for the *.cpl then I cut pasted the files to the temp file. The control panel did not open at all.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
super5...

Ok...that basically reaffirms that this is probably an Internet Explorer problem. To put the cpl files back where they belong, open the temp file on the desktop, click "Edit" on the toolbar, choose "Select All", and click "Cut". Navigate to the System32 folder (in the Windows folder) and "Paste" the files into the System32 folder. Delete the temp folder on the desktop.

Let's see if we can reinstall IE SP1 without removing the old one. Download this Microsoft version of IE6 SP1, save it to your desktop (keep this file, we may need it again). Close all open windows and applications and double-click the downloaded file. Let it install to the default folder.

Reboot your machine and try to open Control Panel.

wannabe1

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
will do wannabe1, and then I will be back to you. Thanks sir.

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Wannabe, I have tried several times now to install IE, I get to about 4% and then get message "setup was unable to install all the components. Please close all apps. and try running setup again. I have all apps closed and have tried over 6 times and same message. ME sucks. lol