Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot open control panel in ME

• Please log in to reply

loxs

loxs

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Not trying to butt in but...... Can you open control panel from a dos window?

Open a dos window and type control ........... Will this open it?

loxs

Advertisements

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I wish it would...but no, have tried that too.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's try this...

Right click on the Task Bar, point to "Toolbars", and select "New Toolbar". In the resulting dialog window, expand (click the +) "My Computer" then click on the Control Panel folder and click "Ok". This should add a toolbar named Control Panel to the right side of the Task Bar. Click on the >> and see if the menu expands showing the icons from Control Panel. If yes, see if you can open Add/Remove Programs.

Post back with your results...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 November 2005 - 10:30 PM.

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I now get get this message "windows cannot access specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" Sorry

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Wannabe1, I have accessed the control panel via My computer, all the icons are there, but when I try to acessed I get the message above on most but I also get this message on a few. "not a valid win32 application"

Thanks
super5

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Sorry Wannabe, I just posted the hjt log to the malware forum this am. Thanks again

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I know the easy thing to do is to restore this box but, I am having a ball learning, I hope you folks don't mind, AND again Thanks!!

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I went into dos and found all of the control panel files sitting in C:\windows\system32 and the rundll file was there too.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start then Run and type control appwiz.cpl...click "Ok".

Does this open Add/Remove Programs?

wannabe1

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
no..get c:\windows\rundll32exe is not valid ms-dos program file. it may damaged message

Advertisements

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
here is another bit of info, I checked the current IE and is ver# 6 sp1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
super5...

here is another bit of info, I checked the current IE and is ver# 6 sp1

It wouldn't be the first time I ran across a corrupt install of IE6 SP1... :tazz:

Let's see if we can extract the rundll32exe file you need from your ME installation cd.

Start your computer in Safe mode. To do this, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key after your computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu.

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.

On the "Tools" menu, click System Configuration Utility to start the System Configuration Utility tool.

In the System Configuration Utility tool, click "Extract File".

In the Extract one file from installation disk dialog box, type rundll32.exe as the file that you want to extract, and then click "Start".

In the Restore from box, type c:\windows\options\install. (NOTE: Use c:\windows\options\install if you installed a Windows Me retail product, or c:\windows\options\cabs if your computer manufacturer installed Windows ME).

In the Save file in box, type c:\.

Click "Ok" to extract the file, and then click "Yes" to create a folder for the extracted file.

Drag (or copy and paste) the extracted file from the folder on drive C to the location of the file that you wish to replace...this will be in the Windows folder...and then click "Yes" to overwrite the file.

Restart your computer and try to open Control Panel...let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 November 2005 - 05:33 PM.

loxs

loxs

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Try this super5:
Open an explorer window and go to "folder options" then "file types", Make sure you have a registered file with the .CPL extension... If so, click on "advanced" then "edit"... Under "app used to perform action" should read

C:\WINDOWS\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL %1,%*

After you checked this, try going directly to the system folder and clicking the .CPL files to see if they will run this way.

If you don't have a cpl file in file types, we'll make one :tazz:

Loxs

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
wannabe1, sorry man, could not get it to work, after I tried, I went into dos to C:\windows\options\cabs and I found no files. The cab directory was there but, no files. Are we having fun yet? :tazz:

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Loxs, I did what you said and checked the info, it was exactly as you had it. When I went to the sys folder I got "windows cannot access the specified device,path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions"