Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer randomly restarting during gameplay

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
That error code can be alot of different things hardeware or software, according to the report MS claims its a driver if you recently installed any new drivers roll them back, if you recently installed any new hardware remove it.

I think its the cpu overheating by the bios readout 60c is pretty hot, did you check for dust? You may have to remove the heatsink and clean then reinstall new thermal paste. Some cheaper paste gets hard over time and needs to be removed and replace so if you do this get Artic silver5 and artic cleaner and follow the instructions on thier website.

Start with these things and then post back if the problem continues there are other things to check

Rick

Advertisements

Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Come to think about it, the problem started when i installed new ram into my system.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Remove the new ram and see if the problem continues, you could also test the ram with memtest86 but you should test each stick individually or test the new stick by removing the original ram.

Could you list the brand, model number, and specs for each stick of ram? Are they both pc3200?

Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I took my old Ram stick out which was 256 MB, DDR 266

and replaced it with a Team 512 MB, DDR 400

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your board does not support pc3200 the max speed is pc2100

Try lowering the ram clock to 133mhz in bios, if you need assistance let me know I will look for your manual.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Another thought just ocurred to me you could put the old ram back in with the new ram, this could slow the pc3200/ddr400 down to pc2100/ddr266 speed and correct the problem.

Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'll try with both Ram sticks in, and I'll report back if it continues.

Thanks

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
u right click nvidia settings in the taskbar then proformance settings then its there but ive found that playing round with the settings stops it but its more the bugs in the GFX card my advice get a new GFX card like a 6200 for bout £46 thats what im thinking bout doing :tazz:

Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Gonna invest in a 6600 i think :tazz:

Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Both RAM sticks now in the computer, and it still restarted this evening.

I'm noticing a pattern, it seems to be in the midnight hours of every 2 days.

So day 1 it wont shut down, but midnight day 2 it will.

Its happened twice when i clicked Pause on Windows Media Player which is odd.

=/

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I really don't think its a pattern it just happenned that way.

Run

memtest86 on each stick of ram individually, let memtest run on each stick for 6 hours unless it reports alot of errors,

report back what you find, if either stick has bunches of errors then thats the problem but if it only finds 1 or 2 take note on what test it failed and report back

Rick

Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, i will do this tonight and report back, thanks.