Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtumonde

• Please log in to reply

jshawger

jshawger

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I need help with getting started so I can send a log. Virtumonde, winfixer, and PUP (as Macaffee called) are the issues. I know very little about any of this stuff.

I recently switched to firefox which ended annoying winfixer pop ups, but if I open IE it immediately pops up along with other random ads.

Step One: I've downloaded it all, ran everything but shredder.

Step Two: Currently running Panda. Do I really download all of this stuff and do each and every step? If that is what I need to do to be free of this plague, I will. But I wanted to be sure as I'm wondering what all these extras programs will do to my computer's performance.

Step Three: My computer automatically receives updates; do I need to worry about this step?

Thank you so much for your help.

Advertisements

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and reply here with your log.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.