Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd and cd-rw drives

• Please log in to reply

terry

terry

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am running windows xp and using a cdrom drive plus a cd-rw/dvd drive. When I insert a blank cd-r disc into the cdrom drive, I get the following message: please insert disc. When I insert either a blank or burned cd-r I get the same message. The cd-rom drive shows up on "my computer" and is "working properly," and there are no new drivers.

What's the problem????

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
>>When I insert a blank cd-r disc into the cdrom drive, I get the following message: please insert disc. <<

I'm confused, which drive are you referring to which has the problem?. The cd-writer or the plain cd-rom drive.?

cd-rom drives cannot read blank discs.

If you are, however, referring to the cd-writer, Windows should recognise a successfully burned cd-r same as a normal cd-rom disc, whichever drive you put it in. Does either of the optical drives recognise it, or neither of them?

As for newer drivers, all optical drives these days (cd-rom, cd-rw, dvd, dvd-rw etc.) use the drivers supplied with and installed automatically with the operating system. Some third party apps (ie nero) may need an update or patch to recognise a new burner , but that's supplied by nero or whichever company makes your burning program. Windows XPs built in burning utility should work without any any driver updates (and Microsoft don't issue any anyway, they are already built into the operating system.