Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two windows open

• Please log in to reply

rinkey

rinkey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Win xp pro ie6
All of a sudden, when I access a link it appears as normal then it appears again.
I tried a system restore however, this problem still exists.
I know it would be a short trip for me but this is driving me crazy. Pls advise ASAP.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I am betting it corrupt files at this point, can you try this

Start < Run < and type sfc /scannow. This will give a blue bar when it goes reboot. This will need the Windows XP CD so have that ready. This will fix all missing or corrupt Windows XP Files.

Edited by Michael, 10 November 2005 - 05:56 PM.

rinkey

rinkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Michael.............Thank you very much for you reply. However, I did the SFC process and still get the
two windows. I reloaded win xp pro and this dumb problem still exists exists. See I am doing everything in duplicate.
I don't know if I should start a new topic with another proplem. If I should Pls let me know. here it is:
At different Intervals my system automatically shuts down and restarts. If you are in the middle of a process this causes problems. The reason I entered this problem here is I am confidentam you know the answer.

Thank You, Thank You very much. No I am not Elvis just:
John

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I had a little chat with two of our malware experts, about if this might be malware related. They told me most likely it is. So can you read You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log and then post in the malware forum, not here.

At different Intervals my system automatically shuts down and restarts.

This is caused by the auto restart setting in XP it you turn it off you should get a [colro=blue]Blue Screen of Death[/color] with a STOP code. I can work out what is causing it from the STOP code.

To turn it off go...
Start < Control Panel < System < Advanced < Startup and recovery
and uncheck "Auto Restart".

When you get a STOP code post it here.

rinkey

rinkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
[size=7] Michael.....I ran several virus processes which did not correct my problem. However, after
running Spyware doctor (SD) I do not get the duplication.
Screen of Death has not appeared, maybe Sd resolved the shutdown and restart. If it occurs again I will forward the codt to you.
Really appreciated your help.
Thanks,
John