Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replace Windows XP PRO with Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, I got that part, but why are we working so hard not to do a clean install?

Advertisements

rmelone

rmelone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
First of all, thanks for the replies.

I tried using the Safe Mode OS uninstall but that was the same as ADD/REMOVE programs.

As I see it now (in my opinion) I have two choices:

1. If I can somehow get by the XP Pro message about the hard drive discrepancy and be able to remove Pro and revert back to 98se (which doesn't look like it will work from what I can see.)

OR

2. Do what has been suggested and just format the 'C' drive and install XP Home.

I would think formatting the 'C' drive should be a safe thing to do (I've backed up as much as I can think I'll need from that drive.)

Thanks again for the help.

Robert

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm curious if a repair installation would work. I guess it's worth a shot. Boot from the CD, and if it recognizes the old XP install I think you're golden.