Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatted, still can't get fully online...NTVDM CPU illegal inst

• Please log in to reply

bobbyesox

bobbyesox

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I may actually have more than one problem, but I'm stumped. Hopefully you guys can (as usual) figure this out for me!

Computer was getting slow, lots of error messages (black "chalkboard" screens with "rundll32.3xe application error, failed to initialize properly"...and "NTVDM CPU encountered illegal instruction", etc), and lots of problems getting online through my network...so, after running scan after scan and doing eveyrhting else I knew to do, I reformatted the hard drive (reinstalled Windows XP).

I was thrilled when I finished the reformat, it immediately booted up, found my drivers, found the network to my other computer and went online. I downloaded virus protection and went to bed, leaving it churning away installing Yahoo messenger (which I use frequently for work).

I woke up a few hours later, to find it offline, one of the error messages I'd been seeing before ("The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction..." followed by a string of numbers). Now, I can't get it fully online through the network, (I set up another network, same thing) although it says the network is enabled and I am online with no problems on the other computer (which just returned from the shop after getting a complete overhaul, including a new hard drive). Yahoo will load up and run, but if I try to check email or surf, I am told that I am working offline.

I can't imagine this is spyware or adaware, but I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

This is my Hijack This log....PLEASE advise.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:20:19 AM, on 11/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpabaln.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
F:\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)

Thanks,
Bobbye

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The ntvdm is your graphics adapter and you very likely have a software conflict with it and your network device. You may need to resolve a software/hardware conflict.

bobbyesox

bobbyesox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I hate to sound so stupid, but how on earth do I resolve a conflict in a machine that hasn't had anything added, nothing has changed in well over a year. I'm just totally stumped. Any play by play suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Pretend I'm woefully computer stupid....(pretend?)

Bobbye

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
From what I can find on Google ntvdm is not part of the video drivers, but a virtual device manager, and you may have a conflict between 16 and 32 bit applications on your machine. You might want to try this fix.

http://www.geekstogo...cnt-t48310.html

ntvdm