Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Still Bonkers

• Please log in to reply

roppongi

roppongi

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm sure you guys will remember me. For months, I have been trying to get my (new computer) WMP to play a streaming news site. I have posted many times here and tried many 'remedies,' players, procedures, etc., to no avail.

Tonight when I again was fiddling with this news site (and I can't believe this and don't know why it happened) a little window popped up and said, "WINDOWS SECURITY ALERT: To help protect your computer, Windows firewall has blocked some features of this program. Do you want to continue blocking or unblock?"

Ha!! Not knowing if I would ever see this mysterious box again, I immediately punched "unblock." Well, I now have beautiful video, but NO AUDIO.

The site also buffers so painfully slowly that I cannot really watch it. I don't know why previous dinasour machine played this site so well...and this new E-machine acts like it has arteriosclerosis!! It has tons more RAM (whatever that is)...I do not know computers.

Can anyone help me get this site to function? Any help appreciated!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Zone Alarm

http://www.filehippo...alarm_free.html

Continue selecting the free option throughout the install

When you have started the true vector monitor, (this will show just after the reboot), got to security centre and turn off the XP Firewall

Run disc clean up from accessories