Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Crashes, device did not respond

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
My computer keeps crashing. I replaced the motherboard, and things were working fine, but it started crashing again. I got the error "The device, \Device\Scsi\viasraid1, did not respond within the timeout period." What does this mean?

Edited by Tyler5690, 11 November 2005 - 12:52 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you installed did you select the Raid option if you have multiple drives and a raid controller

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
No, they are not in a RAID array. They are just two independent drives on the controller.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here, it doesn't mention the last part though

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;314093

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
According to that article, the problem is either with the hard disk(s) or the controller. I replaced motherboards, so its not the controller. How would I verify which drive, if any, are at fault? Or is there a way fix the timeout problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This looks at timeout for a disk array, though it is for NT, which XP is based on, so worth looking for the same registry key

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;248191