Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I install my Windows XP on my desktop and my laptop?

• Please log in to reply

Jephro

Jephro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm thinking about aquiring a low end Dell laptop, and I'm wondering if I can install my Windows XP Home on it (my XP Home is now installed on my desktop). Or...will Microcrap not allow 2 instances of my XP Home on 2 computers at time of activation? I will be using my same modem(high speed cable) as I use for my desktop (if that makes any difference). But I will still need to get updates, so I'm anticipating a problem - Yes? No? :tazz:

Advertisements

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Short answer, no. The EULA says it is for a single computer using 1-2 processors. It might not even say for 1-2 processors.

The activation takes a hardware snapshot and uses that information to generate your activation. Try to activate it on another machine that is different and it will say it is unable to activate and ask you to re-enter the product key. Then it will just sit in that loop until you either give it a valid product key or do a telephone activation and speak to someone at Microsoft who will probably say the same thing that the online activation told you. Then after 30 days with no sucessful activation you will be basically locked out of the computer until you do activate it.

Edited by Alopeke, 11 November 2005 - 10:09 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Read below

Edited by peterm, 11 November 2005 - 01:48 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Sorry peter but you can't.. What you linked to refers to Microsoft Office which CAN be installed on a Desktop and laptop as long as the laptop is for YOUR exclusive use..

The XP operating system can only be legally installed and activated on ONE system at any given time!!

From Microsoft XP EULA Agreement:

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:

• Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Product may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

From Microsoft Office EULA:

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and
conditions of this EULA:
1.1 Installation and use. You may:
(a) install and use a copy of the Software on one personal computer or other device; and
(b) install an additional copy of the Software on a second, portable device for the exclusive use of the primary user of the first copy of the Software.

I bought a Retail Copy of Office and installed it on my PC. Can I install it on my laptop, too?
Yes. You can install Office on your laptop as long as you are the exclusive user of the laptop. This means that you can install it on your laptop, but not your wife's laptop. It is important to understand that the EULA allows you to install the second copy of Office on a portable device like a laptop, not just some any other PC. In summary, you can install a retail copy on your desktop PC and your laptop. It does not mean that you can install it on two desktop PCs. You don't have the right to install it on two PCs. You have the right to install it on one desktop PC and one of your own laptops. Any other combination is not allowed.

Murray

kalele

kalele

• Pip
  • 8 posts
The laptop won't come with Windows XP?

Jephro

Jephro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks guys, thats what I thought. Makes sense about using Office on a desktop and a portable...but I need Home or Pro for music production. And the guy I'm going to get my laptop from did some kind of upgrade from Mellenium to XP Home and its real finicky. Does anyone know if you can upgrade a low end Dell Laptop and get some processor power and memory? And maybe decent graphics? :tazz:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Vist these guys here
Hardware experts

Cheers
Peterm