Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Save As" Delay with Office

• Please log in to reply

freemule2000

freemule2000

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have XP Pro & Office 2003.

When I do a "Save As" (to save any Office document or file such as word, excel, acess, power point, the Save As window comes up immediately, but when I try to select the dropdown arrow to select the location, I have to wait about 30 seconds for the dropdown list to appear. Then it saves fine.

If I do a "Save As" for a web page, for example, it does fine.

I think the problem started after I installed an update (can't remember if it was an XP or Office 2003). Using the restore function is not feasible, and I've tried repair, virus scans, spyware scans.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If it was an update you should be able to uninstall it. Please go

Start < Control Panel < Add/Remove Programs

There is a little box up the top coner that says "Show updates" tick that. Then find those updates that you installed when this started and uninstall them, it should be easy to work out because most say when they were installed.

Hope this helps.

I saw that other post in the XP forum as well, I will have it closed for you.

freemule2000

freemule2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks. I've found the culprit. It's "Security Update for Word 2002 (KB895589): WINWORDop".

When I uninstall it, "Save As" works fine. If I reinstall, the problem comes back.

I'm using Office (including Word) 2003, but the Word 2002 update above shows as needed when I check for updates.

Question: Do I need that Update?

Thanks again.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't know if you need the update but since it seams to have a bug in it I would not install it.