Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP home crash after update

• Please log in to reply

georgeofthejuggle

georgeofthejuggle

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I installed an automatic windows update

Upon restart I got this:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:/windowa system32/config/system

you can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup cd-rom
select r at the first screen to start repair.

I followed the directions in the pinned file on this forum. I got as far as the second blue screen and the options were different. I did not have a repair selection. it did give me 2 partitions. I did not want to risk erasing anything the m computer shutdown.

It also seems that the computer is shutting down when it gets hot. usually after a minute or two. if i try starting up after it has cooled down, I get a little farther. is this normal? I have a Compaq Presario laptop

Please I beg you not to let me get so desparate I have to go to best buy and get a repair. They will wipe my harddrive and reinstall windows. Last time it took 3 months to get it back.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you press enter for set up then F8 then repair, rather than press R on the first screen

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Three months to get your laptop back? LOL it just amazes me how stupid the 'techs' at Best Buy are. Not only do they charge outrageous prices for their half-hearted repairs, but they don't really fix problems. Had one computer come into my shop that had EIGHT Best Buy stickers on it. Meaning he had to take it to Best Buy eight times to get it fixed, which means a minimum of $800 he was charged and the problem still wasn't completely solved. He took it to my shop and it was fixed completely for $68.64. It' crazy but I guess not unbelievable since they hire teenagers to be in their 'Geek Squad' when they should really hire intelligent people.

As for your problem, check out this link.

Fenor

georgeofthejuggle

georgeofthejuggle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yes i did hit f8

then next screen listed two partitions on one partition that was big (NTSF) and one that was 7mb
one was big (NTSF)? or something

I wish I could get the computer to stay on so I could post verbatim.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

yes i did hit f8

then next screen listed two partitions on one partition that was big (NTSF) and one that was 7mb
one was big (NTSF)? or something

I wish I could get the computer to stay on so I could post verbatim.

This means that you have an OEM version of Windows XP cd and therefore do not have the option to do a repair installation of windows. Yeah I know it sucks, but nothing you can do about it. :tazz:

Try doing what I suggested in my last post. Seems the only option available to you.

Fenor

georgeofthejuggle

georgeofthejuggle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
does this mean I will lose data? If I am going to I will just jump in head first and not tiptoe through it. Of course I would like to save everything as is if possibe.

I think I have a backup of my documents. But anyway, it looks like quite an undertaking.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
No, you won't lose any data. All this will do is restore your registry using a backup.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Not really that bad. Just copy and paste the lines of text to notepad and save it as a .bat file like it says to do to save you some time in typing in everything by hand.

Fenor

georgeofthejuggle

georgeofthejuggle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The computer keeps shutting down on its own before I can get but a couple lines of dos in. An idea what is causing that? I thought it was overheating so I put an ice pack underneath it (its a laptop) It cool as a cucumber and is still shutting down.

I may have to give up for tonight.

Thanks for the help though.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When the computer shuts down and it starts to reboot, go into the BIOS and see if you have an option to check the temperature of the CPU. Tell me what it says the temperature is if it's listed somewhere.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 11 November 2005 - 09:45 PM.

Advertisements

georgeofthejuggle

georgeofthejuggle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
sorry but how do I get into BIOS?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, other than that it will be F2

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When the computer is booting up, hit the F1, F2 and DEL keys about once a second. Those are the usual keys used to enter the BIOS. But also look on the screen while it's booting up and it may say to press so and so a key to ENTER SETUP.

Fenor

georgeofthejuggle

georgeofthejuggle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I can't seem to do anything without going into the boot cd. From there it only gives me the options setup or repair. taking out the cd and hitting f1 etc. just makes it reboot

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What is the make/model of your PC?

Fenor