Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two XP's in same PC

• Please log in to reply

silver1

silver1

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I tried to do a clean install at work, and by mistake i added a second XP Operating System. Now everytime i start the PC i have to choose which one to use. What i would like to do is to remove the one i never use because this machine is unusually slow. I know it only has 128 MB of RAM but other computers at work are the same and are much faster. I don't get any errors at all and i don't think it has a virus or worm of any kind, eventhough i haven't run an antivirus in safe mode yet.
Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi silver1!

You didn't really install two operating systems. Sometimes when you install xp the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the hard drive isn't complete wiped and therefore your computer thinks there are two versions of XP when in fact there is only one.

To fix this, right click on MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES, then click on the ADVANCED tab and then click on SETTINGS under the STARTUP & RECOVERY heading. Then click EDIT next to the line To edit the startup options file manually, click EDIT. Copy and paste in your next reply here what is listed and I will tell you what to change.

Fenor

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
as opposed to when I actually TRIED to install 2 XP's [dual boot] on a single HD............. I tried this using System Cdr 8.1 and it did not work. The most recent installed version takes precedence over any previous versions ov XP. Very strange, as I can get multiple 2k's to run on a single HD, but not XP's

silver1

silver1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks Fenor, i will do monday and let you know.

silver1

silver1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Fenor, i did it and here it's what you wanted
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Thanks

Edited by silver1, 14 November 2005 - 10:49 AM.

silver1

silver1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Fenor, This is the original reply.

Hi Fenor, i did it and here it's what you wanted
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Actually it looks like you do have two versions of XP installed on your machine. How many hard drives do you have in your machine? If you only have one, then I suggest you format the D: drive and then remove the line that saying: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect from the boot.ini file and then reboot your computer.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 November 2005 - 07:01 PM.