Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winlogon.exe runs for a fair while - why?

• Please log in to reply

rlh

rlh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This isn't a problem, it's more of an annoyance. I've noticed over the years that as a system installation gets older, winlogon tends to run for longer and longer. It's not an adware/malware/virus thing, it just seems that winlogon is flogging around on the disk for longer and longer (it's up to ~ 1 minute on one system now).

My systems are w2k, fully updated, virus/spyware free, indexing/fast-find disabled, registrymechanic run every so often, disk defragged occasionally, IE temp files deleted regularly, etc etc. There are no untoward progs run at startup. The systems run perfectly ok, just take a long time to complete logging on.

Any ideas on what winlogon is doing?

Roger

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
All versions of Windows do slow down the older they get, dumb design by microsoft. The only real answer it to format once a year. I notice you said

I've noticed over the years that as a system installation gets older, winlogon tends to run for longer and longer.

so I think this is the only answer it you what you speed back.

Sorry I can say more.