Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hide Protected Systems Files Not Working - Help!

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I have clicked on "Hide Protected systems files" and it still does not hide my systems files which are under C:\WINNT.

I unchecked after removing spyware - also did a Windows Repair Installation.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go

The quick answer is not all files in C:\WINNT are protected, so not all are hidden. Make sure you also selete "Do not show hidden files and folders"

Edited by Michael, 12 November 2005 - 03:44 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no C:\WINNT folder by default, on mine anyway (though I understand some OEMs use this folder for preinstallation purposes which would explain why I don't have one with a retail XP).

Most files in there probably don't have the System attribute which explains why they still remain visible. The system attribute normally can't be set accidentally, it would have to be a deliberate job to fiddle with it and potentially screw everything else up.

Best thing to do to see if its working is open your Windows folder and toggle this setting to see if a whole load of things appear and disappear in the window.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Double-click MY COMPUTER, then double-click C: and then double-click WINNT folder. On the left side there should be an option that says hide contents of this folder. Click that and the files should no longer be visible.

Fenor

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks all for responding.

Fenor, that worked!

I kept clicking and unclicking "Display the contents of system folders" and "Hide protected operating systems (Recommended)" and nothing happened. (What is the difference between these two options? )

Now, after clicking on the WINNT folder as you suggested and clicking on "Display..." the files in WINNT hide and unhide.

Thanks again!