Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slackware & XP Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply

yorry76

yorry76

• Pip
  • 6 posts
G'day guys,

I have recently been introduced to the wonders of linux through a Knoppix Live CD. I've done a bit of research and installed Slackware 10.2 onto a 5G root partition with a 1G swap and 13G usr. The puter is an old-ish Acer Travelmate laptop (2.66GHz Celeron with 704Mb RAM) who's 40G HDD was initially partitioned in halves and runs XP Home (pretty sad I know). I have a couple of issues that I need a little help with.

Firstly, the sound isn't working ... any advice as to where to start looking would be awesome, admittedly I haven't been able to do much research on this myself because I am in the midst of exams for uni.

Secondly, I have a 250G Maxtor external HDD connected through the USB. Slackware detects the drive and mounts it, and I can view and use the files on it. But, I cannot seem to be able to copy files onto it? I have tried to change the permissions but it won't let me, strange I know. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Finally, I set the hostname to what I thought was the network host, here at uni it is "curtin", I have tried using the hostname command to reset the name but that only remains until a reboot when it changes back to curtin. Small problem I know but I would prefer to rename it permanently. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

yorry.

Advertisements

yorry76

yorry76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It has been suggested to me that I should have a go at reinstalling slackware to fix the sound card and hostname issues, what do you guys think? I am still trying to learn the ropes but I knew DOS pretty well and I have done a little html and java but not much at all to do with linux. I've got my java exam on thursday so I'm stuck here trying to concentrate on designs and code and don't have much time for other pursuits.

Any advice appreciated.

yorry

loxs

loxs

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Slackware is one of the best distros of Linux you can have....Great choice. I, myself recently installed Slackware.
You'll be happy to know that some of the Linux commands are the same as DOS like cd . .. , dir, echo, rmdir, mkdir just to name the basic ones and 'nmap' is 'nbtstat' 'netstat' and 'tracert' on steroides :tazz:

Sound....... Slackware mutes the sound by default... Go to 'multimedia' then 'KMix' click on all the green icons and move all the sliders to about 80%.....If this doesn't fix it, go to 'control center', 'sound and multimedia', 'sound system' and click on 'test sound'...also click the hardware tab and see if your soundcard is being autodetected.

External USB HDD........Did you enable 'hot plugging' during install? ......As root, You can go to /etc/fstab and open it with 'Kate' or similiar, find the USB line, where it says 'auto' or 'user' add rw (auto,rw) no spaces. This should give you write permissions.

Hostname...... I had the same problem. I fixed this in the following way.... Opened terminal, type 'hostname -v newhostname' .....newhostname being the new name you want. It has stuck through a couple reboots.

loxs

Edited by loxs, 14 November 2005 - 10:53 AM.

p_mii_nawy

p_mii_nawy

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
also i think that any linux distro can only read from a nfts hd but can read and write to a fat32 hd. make a 100gig fat32 partition and try that. i have messed around with knoppix live also but cant write any thing to my hds(both are nfts) hopefully if i get a raid card i set my old 40 gig into fat32 and install knoppix on it.
good luck with it.
have a great thanksgiving
PMN