Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ISP & Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

kassy_360

kassy_360

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have recently gone from dial up (yes really) to cable via my neighbors wireless network. I was amazed this was even legal but he set it all up for me since I am clueless. I held onto the dial for about 3 months just incase this "seems too good to be true" situation didn't work out. Other then a low signal most of the time and a disconnect with automatic reconnect every so often it is working out fine. I still have my dial up ISP in addition but am now ready to dump it. I have realized my Outlook Express which used to be connected to my ISP no longer does. I can check any incoming mail still but to reply it has to be done thru the ISP website. Seems when I attempt to send mail via Outlook it is doing so under his e-mail address or something. It comes back as unable to deliver and never sends it. How can I change my outlook express to work off another e-mail address if I personally no longer have an ISP I have his?

Edited by kassy_360, 12 November 2005 - 08:15 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
The simple solution to this one would be to open an internet based email account - Hotmail for instance. (you would need to inform all of your contacts )

You are, in effect, an extension of your neighbour's isp connection. You may be in a different house but, as far as your connection is concerned, you are connected to his isp. You will not be able to connect to a different one as you have no account with them.

Does your neighbour use Outlook Express?

kassy_360

kassy_360

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I believe he does. And I have an internet based e-mail account (more then 1 but thats a topic for another time...) Is there a way I can convert one of those accounts to work with oulook express? In a dream world I would love for all of them to be filtered into 1 account so I wouldnt need to check a few different ones. I don't suppose thats an option using outlook?

Edited by kassy_360, 12 November 2005 - 09:36 AM.

Acad guy

Acad guy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I use the email account which came with my High Speed ADSL Internet Connection (from my ISP). Like most Interner service providers (I think), they use the POP and SMTP protocols.

So as long as you are connected to the Internet through your neighbour's connection, I would think that you just need to change your outlook express mail server settings to reflect his ISP's SMTP server. Moreover, my ISP allows me to have several e-mail addresses with my Internet account. If this is the case with his ISP, he could request an extra email for you.

BTW. I would rather be hated for who I am ~THAN~ loved for who I'm not.

LOL :tazz:

kassy_360

kassy_360

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
POP? SMTP? All greek to me. I am computer illiterate. When I open outlook it says "oulook brought to you by "his isp" When I try and send a messege using Oulook I get the error messege

"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was [email protected]'. Subject '', Account: 'mail.__my old ISP___.net', Server: 'mail.___.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '504 <Kelli>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 504, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Now obviously I removed my ISP company name and the persons e-mail I was sending to just for the sake of privacy

Acad guy

Acad guy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
POP is Post Office Protocol. It's basically the protocol that is used to deliver messages from an ISP to its user. For instance, when you click on Send/Receive, your Outlook Express is (in a matter of speaking) going to the post office to see if there is any mail for you. If not it says no new messages. The post office in this case is your ISP's POP server address or DNS name, such as "pop1.sympatico.ca".

SMTP is Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. It's the protocol that is used to deliver a message from your computer to a user's ISP. For instance, if you want to send a message to a friend, you basically send it to your ISP's SMTP server. The SMTP server will take care of delivering it to your friend's ISP. And his ISP will take care of sending it to him (probably putting it on the POP server and waiting for him to check his mail).

In Outlook Express, click on Tools, the Accounts, then create a new mail account, then provide the POP and SMTP server addresses or their DNS names.

I would think that your neighbour's ISP would have a tech support line that could help you with this. Hopefully they can even provide you with an email of your own. If not, you may as well use a HOTMAIL account as was prevoiously suggested.

kassy_360

kassy_360

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been using the hotmail for the past few months since the outlook isn't working. Was just hoping there was a way to make outlook "hook up" to one of my other addresses. It just makes it so much easier when you click on a link or a reply or something and oulook opens automatically. Oh well...

junjari

junjari

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Kassy

I had a similar problem with my dialup. I resolved it by changing my email server setup from mail.dodo.com.au to smtp.dodo.com.au

Dont know if this will help

Have fun