Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mirroring Or Imaging

• Please log in to reply

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I don't know the correct term for what I want to do. Here's what I have setup: Drive 1: c & d partitions, WinXP and programs on C, and my data on d. Drive 2: e & f partitons. On drive 2, I have left the e partition empty and use the f partition as a backup for my data. The reason I left e empty was that I figured if drive 1 failed, I could just load WinXP on partition e and have a fully functional drive with all my data on it (partition f).

Is this the best way to do what I'm doing--as is, I have to manually update my data files on partition f. Is there a beter way to do this that won't cost me any money and that automatically keeps partition f updated? BTW, drive 2 is half as big as drive 1 (d1: 80GB, d2: 40GB). Thanks.

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Well if drive 2 was the same size as drive one I'd suggest a RAID mirror array. But with your setup I'd just suggest writing a DOS batch file with commands along the lines of:

xcopy D:\My_Documents F:\My_Documents /d /e /v

For example this command copies (and verifies) all files that are newer from D:\My_Documents and its subdirectories to F:\My_Documents (I recommend moving the "My Documents" folder to the D: drive).

Then all you have to do is execute the file whenever you wish to update your backup (you could even make it a scheduled task).