Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Picture Format Problems

• Please log in to reply

unguis

unguis

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey there!!!

I have had this problem for years but am so pleased to have found your site!!!

My problem is:

When I left click on a picture, whilst on the internet, to save it to my computer, it gives me the option of saving it as either an ART (*.art) or Bitmap (*.bmp) file.

I have tried saving the picture as either - however they both appear as an unreadable JPEG on my computer, i cant see the picture nor can I open it in anything - even paint!!!! This message appears;

"Paint cannot open this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not supported."

Which program do I need or
How on earth do I correct this - it is even happening with downloaded pictures from friends????!!!

Please help me out!!!!

Regards,

Alex

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try with Irfanview

http://fileforum.bet...c...5D=2&os[]=3

You need the plug ins as well

Install Irfanview then close it, install the plug ins

Use that to open the pictures

unguis

unguis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Keith!

It works perfectly when I copy and paste pictures into irfanview from the internet!!!

I still can't open up files that have been downloaded in this format - which is really annoying because I can't recieve files!!

Is there anything i can do in my settings to help?

I have included an example file if that is any help??

Regards,

Alex

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC0064w.jpg

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
isSome other suggestions that might help, I'm a big fan of Irfanview myself, are the .art format is AOL, so you may be able to modify something in your registry or settings that would change that. You could get Flashget, a great download manager, and download the images with it. You might try the Firefox browser and see if it helps.