Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still no audio!

• Please log in to reply

Woman

Woman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
What do you do when you come home and your 12-year-old says the sound just disappeared while he was playing a game (a game he's played several times before without a problem)?

Well, after several unsuccessful attempts at downloading the drivers from Dell Sweden, I've finally succeeded. The results: nada! Nada peep from speakers.

The speaker light is on, everything is plugged in as it should be. I don't know what do try next.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

/Amanda

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
If you go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and click the + next to Sound Video Game Controlers what does it say there?

Are there any yellow ! or ? marks?

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Just one yellow mark - on my firewall! I clicked on my sound, video and games but it looks fine - no yellow.

I've been trying to reinstall the driver from my CD but it's not working (my D-drive is extremely fussy. It likes games but not other CDs).

Edited by Woman, 13 November 2005 - 11:42 AM.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
If you left click the speaker in the Task Bar (bottom right) is mute checked? If so uncheck it.

Also:

go back to Sound Video Game Controlers click on the + and select your sound card - click on properties ....the disable in this profile SHOULD be blank.

Does it indicate that the device is working properly?

Edited by 1069, 13 November 2005 - 01:57 PM.

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Not muted. Volume's on 'high'.

Everything else seems OK. I've updated my drive routine (that's my own translation from the Swedish). I'll try the sound now...

Hmm...nothing.

Under UNIT STATUS it says, UNIT WORKING.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
To eliminate the obvious - do you have or can you get hold of another pair of speakers so that we can be sure that yours are ok? (You could also try your speakers on another machine.)

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
This is probably more realistic:

Unplug the cable from the back of the computer, and insert the stereo plug into the headphone jack of a Walkman, Discman or FM radio and play music. If the speakers are ON and working and the cable is good, you should hear the music from the walkman on the speakers.

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
OH, good idea! Hang on, I'll give it a try...

Well, this is embarrassing! Just checked the computer myself, after trusting my techie son. Mistake. The speaker cable was hanging loose! His reply? "Well, I checked one of the green ones."

Ah, well...alls well that ends well!

And thank you so much for your help!

/Amanda

Edited by Woman, 13 November 2005 - 02:45 PM.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
When the problem looks more and more less likely to be solved - look to the obvious :)

Glad you got your sound back :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Some machines allow you to disable the onboard audio is the BIOS setup. You might want to go into Setup and see if the audio has been disabled. If it turns out that the audio device is bad you may have to disable it anyway to add an audio PCI card to the computer.