Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd-rom Driver

• Please log in to reply

madcow22

madcow22

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Long story less long I had to cd-roms installed that worked fine on my computer. I took one out to change it for a dvd burner. The burner had to be sent back. Now I am trying to put the cd-rom back in and it wont get recognized by xp. THe drive in question is a sony cd-rw crx320e. It is in the second bay and my 1st bay is a lite-on cd-rom. Windows wont automatically install the drivers for my sony and I dont have any software with drivers to install from. THe computer recognizes it correctly but says that drivers are needed and in the device manager it is placed in the horrible yellow question mark area with code 1 reporting that I need to install drivers. Windows searches cant find a matching driver, and if you choose to look yourself (advanced selection) and say you "have disk" and choose driver from menu there is nothign in the menus. All of the categories are empty. I cant even select a generic driver. WHat could be the problem? Sony said that there shouldnt be any drivers needed to install it.

Both drives are set to cable select. I tried swithching their order, which lead to error 28 and none of them being read. I have contacted sony, dell, and microsoft but none of them will help me. The cd-rom is apparently OEM which apparently means, and I didnt know before, that it is not supported by the manufactorers. The operating system was bought through dell so microsoft passes the buck. And then dell wont support because the drive wasnt bought through them. I also tried to find drivers on sony's website but they dont have any for the crx320e, they have firmware for hte crx320a but I cant use that either because I cant install my drive and that has to be done first to recognize it.

Sorry for the long call for help but I am just trying to get as much info as possible to help in finding an answer. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thanks

2400 dimension desktop with windows Xp home with sp2

Advertisements

madcow22

madcow22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Now an update. In an attempt to fix the problem I obviously made it worse. Dell had a download for a flash update for the one working cd-rom. I updated it... the update was supposed to make it more compatible when working with other drives.... now I have no working cd-rom drives. The operating system no longer will load drivers for the lite-on drive either.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Click on run in the start menu and type sfc/ scannow you will need the windows xp disk in the drive for this it should scan through the system and replace any missing drivers and files. Hopefully this will fix it, also make sure you have the drives properly set us to master and slaves.

madcow22

madcow22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried to type in as you suggested, sfc/ scannow, with xp in the drives but nothing happend. I recieved message cannot find 'sfc/"

madcow22

madcow22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Click on run in the start menu and type sfc/ scannow you will need the windows xp disk in the drive for this it should scan through the system and replace any missing drivers and files. Hopefully this will fix it, also make sure you have the drives properly set us to master and slaves.

I revisited this suggestion and made sure of the driver connections. The sony is master and closest to the motherboard on the cord. The lite on is slave and last on the line.

I googled sfc/ scannow and found how to type it into a command prompt as sfc /scannow. The program ran but did not find any corrupted or missing files to replace.

I have also power down, removed the drives. Power up to cofirm the operating system removed them. Powered back down, put them in with proper settings, and still windows asked for drivers it cant find.