Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security update KB896424 issues

• Please log in to reply

tweevis

tweevis

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just installed security update KB896424 and now my printer won't work. I uninstalled the update and the printer worked again. Then, windows decided that this update is absolutely necessary and re-installed it on its own overnight. Is there a patch or something available that will be able to resolve this issue?

Thanks for your help, tweevis

Edited by tweevis, 13 November 2005 - 05:31 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tweevis...

There seems to be a lot of folks having problems with this particular update. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a patch available for the problem yet. To prevent this update from automatically installing again, you will have to disable automatic update. Remove the update then follow the instructions below to prevent automatic reinstallation.

Click Start, then Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press "Enter".

Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select Notify me but don't automatically download or install them. Apply the change.

This will allow you to choose which updates you install and when they will be installed.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 November 2005 - 06:33 PM.

tweevis

tweevis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the help. Will we be notified if there is a fixed version of this update available?

Tweevis

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Normally, Microsoft does notify users when patches are available if they are registered for the Newsletter. You can register HERE.

wannabe1