Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Grr, cannot retrieve files w/o freezing

• Please log in to reply

FlitwickChick

FlitwickChick

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, so I have a Toshiba Laptop and I share it with my siblings. So, one day as I was using it the task bar froze up, then the whole computer froze up too. I restarted it and tried to continue what I was doing but nothing on the desktop was working (i.e. I would click on it and nothing would happen, it wouldn't even highlight) and the start bar wouldn't work. The only way to get programs to run was to start task manager and run new task. And only some programs would work (Mozilla Firefox, iTunes etc.) So, we installed Windows XP Professional, and see that is working fine. But I want to recover the things from the other version. You can go back and forth between versions, like it asks you which one you want to use every time you start the computer up. So I thought I could acess the files using the good version but I can't acess my account because I had a passowrd on it. I've tried going to the bad version and starting up Control Panel to get rid of the password but it won't open. It just freezes up and I have to restart it. I want to get these files trasfered and delete the bad version. I need your help

Advertisements

FlitwickChick

FlitwickChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Anyone?

FlitwickChick

FlitwickChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So I guess I cant fix it?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Boot into Safe Mode on the working system, go into it as Administrator.

Then go to the Documents and Settings folder under your previous installation, for example Documents and Settings\Neil. Right-click it -> Properties -> Permissions.

In here is an option somewhere to take ownership of the files. This is why you can't get to them because of the permissions and the password - they're tied to another account which now doesn't exist.