Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big Problems

• Please log in to reply

NoAngel416

NoAngel416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So sorry to bother everyone again, but I'm just trying to figure out if I need to restore Windows or something.

We reset the restore points above--will doing the restore function repair any damaged Windows files?

I think, thanks to you guys, that I am at least pulling ahead in the malware battle, but the browser problems mentioned above (can't print from internet or open certain sites fully or at all, or use codes here) and system problems (can't "search" for files and folders and probably still can't do a system restore) are still pretty bad.

Am I supposed to take those problems to a different forum here? Not sure of the procedure....any advice is surely appreciated, even it it's just, "shut up and wait your turn."

Thank you!!!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Did you follow these instructions?

Reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. (You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.)

(Windows XP)
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310405

Please reboot into safe mode (continually tap the F8 key while your system is starting, select Safe Mode from the menu).

Please delete your temporary files. Double Click My Computer (WinXP: Navigate to Start --->My Computer)
You will see an icon representing your harddrive (most likely C: Drive) Right Click on the hard drive icon and click Properties at the
bottom of the fly out window. One the very first tab (General) you will see a button labeled "Disk Cleanup"...click that button.
Make sure the following are checked:
Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files and
Recycle Bin
Click OK and Disk Cleanup will delete those files for you.

Let us know if that helps! 

NoAngel416

NoAngel416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Did you follow these instructions?

View Post

Hey look! I can quote! (I couldn't do that before. None of the other codes or emoticons work though. )

Anyway, yes, I did follow the instructions to reset restore points when directed to do so earlier.

But still can't print from internet (including this forum), can't go to certain sites, can't play most games. When I click on Search/Files and folders I get a split screen that is blank. Nothing in the titlebar except a folder icon, the right is white blank. The left side is blue blank except for the little dog.

I also cannot access my checking account from this computer.

IF it looks like I need to reformat the harddrive...(noooooooooo)...can you direct me to someplace that can take me through it (unless you guys can).