Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with BITS cannot run Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

Froklsnt

Froklsnt

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

For a while now I have not been able to successfully run Windows update. I have been able to determine the likely reason is the BITS, the windows Background Intelligent Transfer Service, is stopped. It is set on on Automatic launch and it will not launch manually from the start button on its properties window either. After I try the manual launch an error is generated in the events log, here are the details:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7024
Date: 11/14/2005
Time: 11:39:52 PM
User: N/A
Computer: FROKLSNT
Description:
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated with service-specific error 2147942402 (0x80070002).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Additionally, here is the information the hyperlink to the Microsoft support center gives:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 7024
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_EXIT_FAILED_SPECIFIC
Message: The %1 service terminated with service-specific error %2.

Explanation
The specified service stopped unexpectedly with the error indicated in the message. Windows does not recognize the service's error code.

User Action
To display the service-specific error code in the Service_Exit_Code field, at the command line, type
sc query service name
The information displayed might help you troubleshoot why the error occurred.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_EXIT_FAILED_SPECIFIC
Message: The %1 service terminated with service-specific error %2.

Explanation
The specified service stopped unexpectedly with the error indicated in the message. Windows does not recognize the service's error code.

User Action
To display the service-specific error code in the Service_Exit_Code field, at the command line, type
sc query service name
The information displayed might help you troubleshoot why the error occurred.

Troublingly, when I try to do this or any action in the command prompt, even in non command prompt safe mode, the windows pops open and immediately closes without displaying a thing. I don't know where to go from here, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Frank

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey Froklsnt,

You'll need to uninstall SP2 then uninstall KB842773, restart and reinstall both

Let me know how you make out.

Froklsnt

Froklsnt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I uninstalled the updates as you said, and when I went to reupdate windows I recieved the following error

Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)

Tracing through Microsoft's Help, I found these instructions:

You receive a "The necessary services are disabled or unavailable" error message when you connect to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or to the Microsoft Update Web site
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 883822
Last Review : June 27, 2005
Revision : 2.0
SYMPTOMS
When you try to connect to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or to the Microsoft Update Web site, you receive one of the following error messages: • The necessary services are disabled or unavailable. Error 0x80246007
• The necessary services are disabled or unavailable. Error 0x80246008

CAUSE
This problem occurs if the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is not correctly registered on your computer.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, register the Qmgr.dll and Qmgrprxy.dll BITS files. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgr.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click OK.
3. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.
4. Click OK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did what the resolution says to do, but in both instances recieved the error message:

"qmgr.dll" (or "qmgrprxy.dll") is not an executable file and no registration helper is registered for this file type.

Also, when I try to start BITS manually, I now get the error code: Error 193: 0xc1

I will wait to do any more windows updats until I here back from you. Thanks,
Frank

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system