Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Open With Command Option

• Please log in to reply

Littan

Littan

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey everyone,
I use Windows XP OS and I'm havin a problem with the "open with" command option when rick-clicking.
I cannot use it, because it is missing from the list. I want to open some files with programs other than the default programs, but can't do it since it's not there. I guess I must have done somethin to the registry file or somethin.
And there are also some options that I don't want on the list, since I don't need them.
I really need help on how to get the "open with" command back and remove the unwanted ones. Please help me. :tazz:
Thank you ~ Littan.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
In the Registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command

In right-hand pane, check the following columns. add or edit as necessary.
Use brackets and capitals as shown:

NAME: (Default)
TYPE: REG_EXPAND_SZ
VALUE: %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1

Note: to enter the very long VALUE, easiest way is to copy/paste from my post here.

Littan

Littan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I checked the registry and everything seems to be the same as what you posted. The Name, Type and Value - all the same.
Here's the Value I found in the registry:
%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1

Littan

Littan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Maybe somethin else is missin from the registry, if I already have what you posted in the registry file...
:tazz: