Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

editing the registry

• Please log in to reply

red_elf

red_elf

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hiya,
i have a question about the registry, when i run regedit and look at hkey local machine then software i still have a list of old programs that i uninstalled a long time ago, is it ok if i remove the entries of these old programs??
ps. i wasn't sure where to post this so sorry if it's in the wrong board! :tazz:

Advertisements

Diego8

Diego8

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I did that a thousand times (with programs that were no longer in my computer) and nothing bad happened.
I have no idea why unistallers don't erase those entries.

There are a bouch of applications that scans the registry and deletes entries that are no longer used.
Two of those are RegCleaner (free) and Registry Mechanic.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I have the same problem as red_elf, and I've tried registry mechanic and ccleaner, it doesn't seem to see those entries, when I go back to regedit I still see them there. so is it really okay to manually delete?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you know for sure what the key belongs to..and that you know for sure that you got that program uninstalled cleanly..then getting rid of the reg keys won't hurt....make sure that you back up the registry first...and couldn't hurt to back up your data as well....any time you mess with the registry...you run the risk of doing some real damage to your machine...

for the most part the uninstallers leave those keys..because the software engineers hope that you will reinstall their program...most companies don't like the idea of you uninstalling their software...if it weren't required...they wouldn't even give you an uninstaller in most cases...

grandpa

grandpa

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi.

I have posted this elsewhere but is jv16 any good and can it be let loose.

Link.

www.vtoy.fi/jv16/

Cheers

Grandpa

( Hope I don't get into trouble )

Edited by grandpa, 16 November 2005 - 01:41 AM.

red_elf

red_elf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sorry it took a while to reply, time difference :tazz:
Right so i think i'll give it a go but first i think i'd like to do that backup, but how?? I have no idea how to back-up the registry

Thanx

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do start > run > regedit

then click file > export > name the file and pick a safe location to save it to...then make sure the "all" button is clicked where it says "export range" then press save

Edited by dsenette, 17 November 2005 - 08:24 AM.