Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Home purchase?

• Please log in to reply

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Can anyone please recommend a good priced UK online retailer for a copy of Win XP Home (with SP2 preferably).
Having always purchased my o/s's with my hardware previously, i've no idea who is reliable / competitively priced.
Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The retail upgrade edition is going on Amazon for £95., about as cheap as it gets really. The original non-upgrade edition is about £180.

You should be able to buy an OEM edition from a computer shop, with appropriate hardware as well, however you're not legally allowed to transfer that license once the system it goes on dies.

OEM copy: £59.93 From Extreme Software - http://www.uk-softwa...products_id=708

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Thanks Neil.
So all im missing out on if I buy OEM (not purchasing h/w by the way), is support? - which i've never once used in over 10 years anyway! (lol)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well OEM software you get no support from Microsoft but as the internet is commonplace, it's no great loss.

The other thing as well is, if your system that you use this OEM licence on does die, you are supposed to go and buy another one for another system. This doesn't apply to the retail editions you see, which you can transfer to as many computers as you need to providing its removed from the previous one first.

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Well OEM software you get no support from Microsoft but as the internet is commonplace, it's no great loss.

The other thing as well is, if your system that you use this OEM licence on does die, you are supposed to go and buy another one for another system. This doesn't apply to the retail editions you see, which you can transfer to as many computers as you need to providing its removed from the previous one first.

and they wonder why so many are changing to alternative o/s's.
I think ill cope with a system death :tazz:

Thank you Neil.

Edited by cyberdyne, 17 November 2005 - 02:51 AM.