Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

girlfriend's gonna kill me

• Please log in to reply

chauncey

chauncey

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

Using the info you posted on malware in the "start here" page I was able to clean my computer beautifully.

One of the programs i ran was the winsockxpfix.

I thought I'd fix my girlfriend malware problem the same way. Her computer is win98.

I downloaded it, read something about Boston University and "proceed with care". After running it, i can longer access the internet on her computer.

what can i do to fix this.

Please help!

Thanks,

Steve

Advertisements

Danny

Danny

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
Hi,

Try this: http://www.bu.edu/pc...insock2fix.html

I believe that winsockxpfix is for windows 2k and above

Good luck,

Danny :tazz:

Edited by Danny, 16 November 2005 - 10:17 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can get the 98 version from here, near top

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Though you will need to save it to disc on another PC and then run it on the 98 PC

chauncey

chauncey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Keith,

Here's the thing. I went to

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

thats where i downloaded it to my computer, ran it, and the other programs suggested, on the "you must read this" page and fixed my problem (malware).

i know her computer has a lot of adware, etc, so, i figured i'd follow the same instructions on the "you must read this" page.

her computer did'nt have a problem accessing the internet, it was just slow with popups and other garbage. i started with the preparation. i clicked on the winsockfix2 for win 98. i first ran it without saving it and then saved it and ran it again.

just befor i ran it there was a small window that popped up warning me that it was to be used only by BU students, or something like that. i went ahead and ran i anyway.

now she definately has a problem accessing the internet.

i was never sure what the winfix actually did to help the problem on my computer, ignorance is bliss and all that. i was just happy to get it running again.

so, did i run the winfix on her computer improperly? if so, how can i restore it to its earlier condition?

thanks again,

steve

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run these, 20 mins tops, then the system will be intact

This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When it has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

If you have the modem software, ISP software then possibly removing the connection then making a new one will be as quick, though see how you get on with those

chauncey

chauncey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
keith,

when it was 96% done, a message appeared telling me there was an error and that i should clean up files on my windows drive.

what files can i get rid of in a windows drive that really won't foul things up, if any?

Thanks,

Steve

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which was most of the way through

chauncey

chauncey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
rebuilding system registry

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up then disc defragmenter and try it again

Does it connect yet

chauncey

chauncey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Keith,

Started running defragmenter about 2 hours ago. it hasn't gone further than 3%, and sometimes goes back to 0%. I don't suppose that's too good.

steve

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, select safe mode then run defragment, and it will (should) run faster

You can cancel it then reboot for this

chauncey

chauncey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ran defragmenter in safemode. still stopped running at 96% during
'rebuilding system registry'

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it still says about removing files then the difficulty is knowing what someone else considers important

I reckon you need a bunch of flowers here (possibly to avoid a bunch of fives) so you can tell her the position

Because, any form of repair will lead to some data loss, this method

http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=479

would mean you having to re-install all programmes, while losing desktop settings and e-mail, although other data would remain

The other, and in my opinion better option, would be to back up all the necessary data, and do a clean install, because the chances are this is a glitch which will keep surfacing in the future

It isn't as if you intentionally set out to wreck her PC