Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window XP Professional Log-On

• Please log in to reply

kdlight

kdlight

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am a physician and have a new nurse. The prior nurse had her own password to log into Windows XP when the system booted up. She's gone and I dont know the password or how to get around it. Ideas??
Pretty please!!!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
How do you log onto the system? Are you using an admin account? XP Pro or Home?

Johanna

kdlight

kdlight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have XP pro. In the past I never logged on - just hit 'start' and away it went. She made changes on the computer - now when it boots up I get a windows XP log on dialogue box with her name as user name and a blank for the 'mystery password'. I tried admin/blank to no avail.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you know how to log on to the real Admin account? Tap Control>Alt>Delete twice at the welcome screeen. The real administrator account is probably password protected on Pro (you may need to ask the person who set up your system if it wasn't you) and if you can get in there, you can change any passwords that you want.

Johanna

kdlight

kdlight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No luck. Thanks anway Johanna

Kevin

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hi kdlight, johanna might not have thought of this, but if you hold "crtl" and "alt" keys and then hit "del" key twice it may show you other accounts hidden on your system. If this works then you can see if one of the accounts are not password protected. Then you can go to the start menue up to run,hit enter and when the box comes up type in: "control userpasswords2" then hit enter. Do not put in the " and also make sure there is a space between control and userpasswords2. A box will come up and you need to remove the checkmark in "User must enter a user name and password". Hit enter again and you will be able to get into your computer without a password.
Please post back to tell if you were able to do this....ed

Paradox924X

Paradox924X

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Hmm.. kdlight, I think you can just reboot your computer in safe mode and it won't ask for te password. Enter the main administrator account, and then go to Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Change an Account> then click on what account you wanted to enter> Create a Password, Change Password, or Delete Password.. I forget which one will show up> then just change the password to your liking, reboot the computer normally, and it should work!