Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocked CPU? Need fix!

• Please log in to reply

kirithebrave

kirithebrave

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My CPU has been unintentionally overclocked. My system crashes after it overheats. I have 2 different pieces of software confirming this (Sisoft Sandra, RightMark CPU clock utility), but the Intel utility says "Reported Frequency 1.0 GHz", "Expected Frequency 1.0 GHz". So for some reason it does not see the problem. And I have not found a way to fix this yet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kirithebrave...

There should be an adjustment in the BIOS to set the clock speed....but I'm sure no expert on this. You might want to pose this question to the folks over In This Forum.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 November 2005 - 09:48 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi kirithebrave! Welcome to G2G!

Easiest way to solve this problem is to reset the computers bios back to it's default settings. To do this, do the follow:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST 5 minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or DEL to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup. Your computer should reboot and your computer should also no longer be overclocked and your freezing problem should be gone.

Fenor

kirithebrave

kirithebrave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK, so I guess the CPU is not overclocked. Taking the battery out did reset, but did not fix the problem. My computer is still shutting off after a period of use. The more I tax my system, the faster it shuts down. Also, the more I have the PC on during the day the faster it shuts down.
Anything else you can suggest?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kirithebrave...

Download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.26 link in the second paragraph), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures. Post the low temps you see immediately after starting the machine and the temps after the machine has run for a while.

wannabe1

kirithebrave

kirithebrave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Speed fan was only giving me a temp on my HD.
it started below 36C, and in a matter of 10 minutes it was at 42C in the red. It got up to 46C before it crashed again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kirithebrave...

If your hard drive is running at 46C, I wonder what the CPU temp is! Too bad not all motherboards have sensors for the CPU.

Are the CPU cooler fins free of dust and is the fan running at good speed?

wannabe1

kirithebrave

kirithebrave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I check the inside cleanliness quite regularly. CPU fan seems to be running just fine.
Could my HD running too hot cause a shutdown as well? I don't even know where to look for a HD fan.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kirithebrave...

Yes, an overheatd HDD can cause problems, but it is usually the CPU that will crash the machine when it gets too hot. An overheating power supply can also cause problems similar to this...do you clean it out regularly, as well?

Have you looked in the BIOS settings to see if there is a CPU temperature listed there?

You can see a sample of HDD coolers HERE. They should be available just about anywhere computer parts are sold. I bought mine at a Staples Office Supply store here.

wannabe1

kirithebrave

kirithebrave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes the power supply gets cleaned as well.
Is it possible to check the BIOS settings while I have my computer running, or just at startup? Because the temperature during a session would be good to see.
So I may have to actually purchase a HDD cooler? Why would it be running so hot in the first place?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There are many reasons that a HDD could run too warm. If the drive is "nested" in between other drives or is mounted in a bay without adequate air circulation, it may overheat. The drive mechanism in the drive itself may be going bad and causing it to run hot. The circuit board in the drive case may be "breaking down" and generating heat. Overheating problems are pretty tough to pinpoint in a HDD, it's best to just plan on replacing it in the near future. I would sure consider using the limited access you do have to start backing up your important data onto removable media.

Another thing that can cause these kinds of symptoms is a video card that's getting hot and going bad. If you have a separate video card (not onboard or integrated), this is something you might check.

This still smells of a hot processor to me, though. If you have a small fan, try opening the case and using the fan to circulate more air through the case. If this solves the problem, an additional case fan might do the trick.

Keep us posted on what you find...

wannabe1

kirithebrave

kirithebrave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, well thanks for all your help.
I think I will try switching to my integrated video to see if my video card is the problem. That would be sad though.
I guess I could buy a bigger and better CPU fan and see if that helps. They can't be too much $$.
I should also get ready to get a new HD. They are not too expensive these days either.
I have had nothing but trouble with this PC. The last thing was my motherboard capacitors started oozing and the whole thing had to be replaced. That problem had these same symptoms, but I see no leakage this time.
BLARG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are the ends of the capacitors "bulging" or starting to swell?

wannabe1

kirithebrave

kirithebrave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No not at all, they look healthy.
I found that it is not my video card, and also not my HD. It crashed while my HD temp was low, and while I had disabled my video card.
So, I guess it is still the CPU. A new fan is definitely in order.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The CPU has been my prime suspect all along... :) If you invest in a new cooler, get the best you can afford and make sure to clean the CPU good before installing the new one. You need a good contact with the transfer material between the cooler and CPU. I usually remove the preapplied goo strip on the new cooler and apply either Arctic Silver or Arctic Aluminum paste instead...I have never had a failure using these products. They are a bit spendy, but are worth the cost for the protection they afford you.

Good troubleshooting, kirithebrave! :tazz:

wannabe1